Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: coolant issue

+1

coolant issue

Hey guys, took my ski out for the first time in a few months. I checked the coolant level and topped it up to the maximum fill level while it was cold. After about 1 hour of riding the bottle was below the minimum fill level. I didn't notice this until I got home and had flushed it out.. There was a slight amount of what looked to be really diluted coolant in the bottom of the hull, but if there was more it drained out of the bungs unnoticed on the drive home.
    I ran it for a few minutes on the hose after topping it back up and didn't see any leaks anywhere, could there possibly have been an air lock or something in the motor, I haven't changed the coolant though, only ever topped it up a bit.. I remember seeing a while ago that there looked to be some coolant around the rideplate whilst i was flushing, but because i was losing very little coolant i didnt think too much of it, do these commonly leak? my x has 97 hours
    Any ideas guys?

+1
    Check the bolts in the back on your rideplate and make sure those aren't leaking.

And for your coolant to go down after you run it is normal if you just put some in. But if it constantly keep going down every time you ride then there definitely has to be a leak somewhere.

Maybe in your headgasket too. Try to check your compression. if you have access to a compression tester.

+1
    Mine leaks around where the hoses go into the ride plate in the hull... moving things around jared them loose... I replaced the BRP CRAP clamps and cleaned it then siliconed it back in... No leaks worked great...

+1
    Ride plates can leak from the top bolts that hold it together. I have read where some 08 models seem to be worse.
    It usually gets worse in the winter or cooler months as the silicone shrinks up.

It is an easy fix but need to drain antifreeze and remove bolts and reinstall with more silicone.

+1
    Hey guys, thanks for all your input. At the moment the ski is in my shed with all the intake pipes, intercooler and exhaust removed... Where should I go from here? Put it all back together and take it for a ride, or should I maybe remove the ride plate and re silicone it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for all your input. At the moment the ski is in my shed with all the intake pipes, intercooler and exhaust removed... Where should I go from here? Put it all back together and take it for a ride, or should I maybe remove the ride plate and re silicone it?
    You won't have to remove it, there are bolts right under where your Nozzle and pump is which sometimes leak due to overheat or cold temps. I would put everything back toghether and run it and then try to find where it's leaking from right after.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    You won't have to remove it, there are bolts right under where your Nozzle and pump is which sometimes leak due to overheat or cold temps. I would put everything back toghether and run it and then try to find where it's leaking from right after.
    Ok thanks mate. I will chuck it back together when I get the chance take it for a ride, if it's not coming from the overflow on the coolant bottle that would rule out head gasket correct? Then I will get it back on the trailer and see if I can see anything around the ride plate leaking.. I will let you know how I go

+1
    Okay guys, I put the ski back together and tightened up all the coolant hose clamps (some were a little loose)..
    I went out to test it, no water was coming out the overflow at WOT, but a little did spill out after I backed off one time, I think this was just due to me filling it to the maximum fill line when cold. I rode for about an hour and when I put it back on the trailer I couldn't detect any leaks and no coolant came out the bungs. When it cooled back down, the coolant was maybe a 1/4 of an inch below the maximum fill, im thinking this was just due toe filling it right up before hand, does this sound normal?
    Cheers guys..

+1
    Anyone? I just rechecked and the coolant level went down more like 3/4inch, If there is a leak it must be leaking out the ride plate as there isn't any in the hull after I ride..

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    why the need to start another same thread? http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ant&highlight=, wasn't your question answered and we told you the best way and most efficient way to check for a coolant leak is to pressure test the damn thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information