Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 Genesis Ficht EMM missing can it be changed to a 2000 EMM?

I have come across a 1999 Genesis missing the EMM. The ski is in great shape but I cannot find an EMM anywhere reasonable. It requires a 4010345 or 4010332-r. I have a spare EMM and matching injectors of a 4010393b. I have also noticed that the harness is different. The 99 has a 8 and 10 pin to the EMM along with the big connector. The 2000 has a big connector, 8 and 12 pin.

Is it possible to change these out maybe replacing the harness as well?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveChaser View Post
    I have come across a 1999 Genesis missing the EMM. The ski is in great shape but I cannot find an EMM anywhere reasonable. It requires a 4010345 or 4010332-r.

I have a spare EMM and matching injectors of a 4010393b.

I have also noticed that the harness is different. The 99 has a 8 and 10 pin to the EMM along with the big connector. The 2000 has a big connector, 8 and 12 pin.

Is it possible to change these out maybe replacing the harness as well?
    Interesting question

1999 was the very first year for Ficht on Polaris, and there are several aspects that are unique to the 1999 Genesis FFI model.

The 1999 EMM is not matched to the injectors. Instead, all 1999 FFI injectors are precision manufactured to the same specification, and are fully interchangeable. 2000-2004 injectors are individually profiled (fuel flow mapped), and are matched to the specific EMM.

As you have discovered, since the EMM in the 1999 Genesis FFI is unique to that model and year, they are in short supply.

The original 1999 FFI wiring harness is known to develop problems at the splices, especially in the ground wiring. Back in the day, some service shops simply replaced the entire original wiring harness with an upgraded 1999 OEM replacement harness, simply to avoid the diagnostic headaches of the original harness.

I think the reliable answer is to change the wiring harness to a 2000-2001 Genesis i harness, and use your matched 4010393b EMM + injectors. Watch that the substitute wire harness matches the PERC reverse motor location (2000-2001).

BTW, as far as I know the 1999 EMM used the same 8 and 12-pin connectors as all the other EMM years.

I have not thoroughly compared the wiring diagrams, but I think you can just install the 2000 EMM and injectors, and re-use the 1999 wire harness (if it is in good shape).

Have you known anybody to do this with success?

+1
    Have you known anybody to do this with success?
    Swap EMM across model years? Yes, for the 2000-2004 years.

Using a 2000+ EMM in a 1999 wire harness, no. Just that I haven't come across it, not that it has never been done.

Well, I have successfully swapped the EMM out of a 2000 with matching injectors and into my '99 Genesis. I purchased a 2001 harness on ebay and found that most of the splices were bad. I ended up crimping them and soldering them. I then sealed them with marine grade liquid electrical tape. I also have a 2001 Genesis giving choppy acceleration issues and the Polaris dealer said yes it is doing it but they didn't know why and everything was within spec. I ripped the wireharness out of that Genesis as well and rebuilt it. I didn't find that many splices bad as I did in the harness I bought but there were problems with seveal of the 12v and 45v splices. The grounds seemed to be ok but I soldered them as well. I haven't installed that harness yet.

Back to the '99, I measured the 45v across the capacitor and it was at 15v while cranking and jumped up to 43v at idle and 45 when goosing the throttle. I did get a check engine message but I think that is because it is 30 degrees F here. The manual says if the temperature sensor is "below" range you will get a "check engine" I'm going to have to wait until April/May to actually test it. I have the service manuals for both my 99 and 2001 Genesis and the harness appear to be the same, however, they have added grounding to the ignition coils. Then on the old 99 harness there was some weird ground wire coming from the battery going through a fuse and connected between the oil gauge. '99 oil gauge works fine with the 2001 harness.

Other issues I found with the '99 were the fuel pump had a cracked return fitting and restrictor was in the bottom of the tank. I purchased a used fuel pump on ebay for $20 and it had the restrictor off as well. I fixed that using the cotter pin method. Inspecting the stator, I found a 12v coil wire that feeds through the casing was cut by the flywheel. I spliced that. The flywheel is a 6 magnet without any cracked magnets.

One thing worth mentioning on both harnesses of my 1999 with 2001 harness and 2001 Genesis harness. While ohming the connections I found on both harness that pin 7 on the 40 pin EMM connector the resistance was not 0 ohms it was flakey from 7 - 100 ohms measuring from the diagnostic connector to pin 7. After inserting the small paperclip into pin 7 several times, it finally dropped to 0 ohms. It did that on both harnesses. According to the diagram that is the 45v reference feeding back into the EMM.

One thing I noticed already differnent from the 99 to 2001 Genesis while measuring the 45V across the capacitor, the 99 starts at 43v and increases while goosing the throttle. The 2001 before rebuilding the harness would jump up to 41V and actually dip to 38 - 40v while goosing and then increase. I am interested to see what it does when i install the rebuilt harness. I have a feeling it is going to be 43v an increase while goosing. If it I find the voltage does not dip, I think my throttle hesitation will be fixed because I have had DFI fix the EMM and I replaced just about all the components I can tps and cps.

One last thing, it was sure a beautiful thing to hear the '99 rumble to life and purr at idle!!!

+1
    Well, I have successfully swapped the EMM out of a 2000 with matching injectors and into my '99 Genesis. I purchased a 2001 harness on ebay and found that most of the splices were bad.

...I also have a 2001 Genesis giving choppy acceleration issues and the Polaris dealer said yes it is doing it but they didn't know why and everything was within spec. I ripped the wire harness out of that Genesis as well and rebuilt it. I didn't find that many splices bad as I did in the harness I bought but there were problems with several of the 12v and 45v splices. The grounds seemed to be ok but I soldered them as well. I haven't installed that harness yet.

Back to the '99, I measured the 45v across the capacitor and it was at 15v while cranking and jumped up to 43v at idle and 45 when goosing the throttle.

...1999 and 2001 Genesis and the harness appear to be the same, however, they have added grounding to the ignition coils.

Then on the old 99 harness there was some weird ground wire coming from the battery going through a fuse and connected between the oil gauge. '99 oil gauge works fine with the 2001 harness.
    I presume you mean the oil level sender had the unusual ground wire with fuse.

Other issues I found with the '99 were the fuel pump had a cracked return fitting and restrictor was in the bottom of the tank. I purchased a used fuel pump on ebay for $20 and it had the restrictor off as well. I fixed that using the cotter pin method.

Inspecting the stator, I found a 12v coil wire that feeds through the casing was cut by the flywheel. I spliced that. The flywheel is a 6 magnet without any cracked magnets.

One thing worth mentioning on both harnesses of my 1999 with 2001 harness and 2001 Genesis harness. While ohming the connections I found on both harness that pin 7 on the 40 pin EMM connector the resistance was not 0 ohms it was flakey from 7 - 100 ohms measuring from the diagnostic connector to pin 7.

After inserting the small paperclip into pin 7 several times, it finally dropped to 0 ohms. It did that on both harnesses. According to the diagram that is the 45v reference feeding back into the EMM.

One thing I noticed already different from the 99 to 2001 Genesis while measuring the 45V across the capacitor, the 99 starts at 43v and increases while goosing the throttle. The 2001 before rebuilding the harness would jump up to 41V and actually dip to 38 - 40v while goosing and then increase. I am interested to see what it does when i install the rebuilt harness. I have a feeling it is going to be 43v an increase while goosing. If it I find the voltage does not dip, I think my throttle hesitation will be fixed because I have had DFI fix the EMM and I replaced just about all the components I can TPS and CPS.

... a beautiful thing to hear the '99 rumble to life and purr at idle!!!
    You really went at this with gusto! Glad to hear you are getting the results you wanted

You must have spent a lot of time with an ohm-meter to check every splice and connector in those wire harnesses.

In what way were the wire harness splice connections poor? Corrosion, loose crimps, frayed wire ends, loose connector mating to the matching pin?

What advice would you give to others who may suspect their Ficht wiring needs to be checked?

Pin 7 on the EMM 40-pin connector is actually the pin that feeds the 45 volt power into the EMM for use by the fuel injection drivers and the EMM itself. If pin 7 is not a solid connection then the power feed to the EMM will fluctuate, which could cause any manner of strange problems.

Pin 7 is also downstream of the Ficht 4-pin diagnostic port loop connector, so that also needs to be a clean and tight connection.

One thing that can affect connections is the presence of dielectric grease inside the pin connections, especially when it gets dried out. Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity, it is an insulator. Be sure to clean it off the pins to assure a clean metal-to-metal connection. After you get it all working you can re-apply a thin layer of dielectric grease to the connector seals and outside perimeter of the connectors.

I actually have 3 harnesses. Two 2001 and the original 99. The 2001 I purchased on ebay had all the ground splices of the copper turned black with oxidation and a several of the 45v (white/red) were green. I also found the 12v red/purple green as well. It appeared that the plastic splices filled with some sort of sealant had lost it's seal and tarnished from moisture.

The 99 harness' 45v splices were green as well but i didn't dig into any deeper since I replaced it. The 2001 harness off my 2001 had green 12 and 45 volt splices but the ground splices were all clean. I soldered all the ground splices anyway.

All the splice were crimped tight but just corroded or tarnished. I used my dremel and cut all the splices, if the wires were long enough and the wire was too badly tarnished, I just cut them and stripped the wire. Some of the tarnish had even travelled under the insulation. I soldered all of the splices, covered them in marine grade liquid electrical tape, then covered them with electrical tape, and covered the 45v and ground seperately in the plastic conduit and then put it back in the orginal flexible black conduit.

I found no issues with the pins other than the pin 7 on the 40pin connector. All the other pins were 0 ohms. What was weird about the pin 7 is I though it was the diagnostic connection as one would suspect but it was the female in the 40pin on both 2001s.

In my honest opinion, I think this is the cause for most of the Ficht problems because of the 12 plus splices. If you have a Polaris Ficht and are having issues that do not make sense and you have replaced or repaired every component as I have, take the time to rip apart your harness. it doesn't take that long but you need to be good at soldering and have a 25W iron for the little splices and a 45W for the big ones. I have an electronics background so I was able to test and solder everything myself.

It was probably a cost issue but if Polaris would have soldered the splices, there would have been less problems with them.

I want to also mention again that I found the 15amp 12v circuit breaker corroded as well and flakey on both Genesis. It costs like $40 on ebay but digikey you can get the same breaker for $3 plus shipping. If any of these reference voltages are flakey going to the EMM, you are going to have problems you cannot explain.

This was actually fun for me and when I'm done I will have two kick butt Genesis Ficht skis. It is amazing how much less gas they use compared the older carburated ones. Even with my 2001 running not at 100% it would still go 55mph and most of the new skis could not keep up with me.

+1
    ...I found no issues with the pins other than the pin 7 on the 40pin connector. All the other pins were 0 ohms.

What was weird about the pin 7 is I thought it was the diagnostic connection as one would suspect but it was the female in the 40pin on both 2001's.

In my honest opinion, I think this is the cause for most of the Ficht problems because of the 12 plus splices. If you have a Polaris Ficht and are having issues that do not make sense and you have replaced or repaired every component as I have, take the time to rip apart your harness...

I want to also mention again that I found the 15amp 12v circuit breaker corroded as well ... on both Genesis. It costs like $40 on ebay but at Digikey you can get the same breaker for $3 plus shipping...
    What is the Digikey part number for that 15 AMP circuit breaker?

Is it a direct drop in replacement with the same wire connector tabs?

Waterproof/sealed cap? Does the Polaris OEM cap fit?

Looking at the Digikey list, I see the Tyco series 57 or Tyco series 58 look like they could do the job. With an appropriately selected spec'ed part number code, of course.

EEM pin-7; I wonder how many Amps that pin-7 into the EMM is carrying

Any signs of connection heating or discoloration at that pin in the 40-pin connector?

Regarding the wire harness splices aspect, I know that the original 1999 Genesis FFI (Ficht) wire harnesses had a reputation for going bad. I have been told that it was common practice at some dealers to simply replace the entire 1999 FFI wire harness with a newer replacement version, just to side step the headaches that an intermittent wire harness can cause.

And 1999 was also the very first year for Ficht on Polaris (and only on the Genesis FFI model), so it was a learning curve for them. Having two electrical boxes in different places in the hull just made it that much more interesting

The 2002-2004 Ficht harnesses are different in several respects compared to 1999-2001. First off there is no electrical box. All modules are simply plugged into and tied along the wire harness inside the hull. Also some of the Deutsch connectors were changed to Packard/Weatherpack type connectors.

+1
    ... swapped the EMM out of a 2000 with matching injectors and into my '99 Genesis...
    You should check whether your 1999 Genesis already has the upgraded PTO cylinder head.

It was part of update kit 2201651 issued by Polaris. Affected HIN numbers PLE00036G899 through PLE09946F999

I'll get you the digikey part#. It is an exact replacement with the same make/style/brand. It doesn't come with the waterproof cap but the old one fits just fine. It is the same breaker that is in my 1997 780SLT as well. I changed them all out.

The male connector of pin 7 looked fine. I couldn't see inside the female. I bet it is what you said about the dielectric getting dried out and insulating the contact. It was weird that it was both harness. I should check my 99 harness to see if it was flaky.

What does this new upgraded PTO head do or how was it different? I'll have to check my hull #. Is there a way to tell if I have it if my number falls within that range?

You know I was on ebay searching for Ficht EMM and I saw one for a Kawasaki that looked just like the EMM for a Genesis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information