'97 XP Speedometer troubleshooting?

Last year, I rehabbed a 97 XP back to life, but the stock speedometer never did work. I have no idea if the gauge or the pickup/wheel sensor is the culprit. Is there a way to definitively troubleshoot one or the other? Then, I'd know which component to buy if I want to get it working again. I'd hate to spend money on the pickup wheel part if the gauge itself is bad..and I'd rather not blow money on a pickup wheel sensor if it's the GAUGE that's bad...suggestions?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the dreamometer (spedo) was always crap....spend your money on something you need or something like a GPS and mount if you want a real spedo

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    the dreamometer (spedo) was always crap....spend your money on something you need or something like a GPS and mount if you want a real spedo
    Thanks for the advice...I aware of the notorious inaccuracy of the stock speedometer. But, there's something to be said of a vehicle (Seadoo, motorcycle, etc.) where everything works as intended from the factory. Getting back on subject, is there a way to troubleshoot either the speedometer gauge and/or pickup wheel if one or the other is defective?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    not that I am aware of

It is in the manual pg 253 of the 1998 pdf. see seadoomanuals.net or something for the manual, might be a link in a sticky. It looks like you can test the magnetic pick up by spinning the wheel slowly and watching for voltage fluctuation every 1/8th turn. MPEM is powered up in this test. There is no info to test the speedo, just the pin out.

Quote Originally Posted by retro jet View Post
    It is in the manual pg 253 of the 1998 pdf. see seadoomanuals.net or something for the manual, might be a link in a sticky. It looks like you can test the magnetic pick up by spinning the wheel slowly and watching for voltage fluctuation every 1/8th turn. MPEM is powered up in this test. There is no info to test the speedo, just the pin out.

Thank you, retro jet. I'll look into that.

Thread Information