Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 150 tach install help

stang4u2nv

Tach install help!!
    Hey fellas my brother just bought an ultra 150 and we have sank the ski twice. Initially the original cluster was working but after the second sink trip it doen't turn on anymore at all. Is there anyway to make it turn on???? Like which wires apply power to the dash or fuses and what not??? If the dash is broken completely then we may opt to just install a tachometer just to watch the rpms... Where do i connect the aftermarket tack and what brands can i use??? Are the regular autoparts store tachs compatible in the 4 cylinder mode????? Thanks in advance

+1
    If you get to it quickly, you might be able to save it, but it's not very likely. It is a sealed unit, but the rubber plug on the back gets hard with age and doesn't seal very well. That's why I tell people to re-seal it with 3M 5200.

You can try removing the rubber plug and warm it up with a hair drier. If that doesn't work, you can try to cut it open, disassemble it, then dry it. You'll probably find some corrosion inside. Clean it with a brush and coat the circuit board with clear lacquer. If you can get it working, glue it back together, but be careful when you tighten the mounting screws so you don't break your glue seal. Be careful with the little white rubber strip, that's the conductor that attaches the circuit board to the LCD.

I put a write up about it (with pictures) in the Skiworx Ultra 150 board on yuku. I was able to save mine once, but I tightened the screws too tight and broke the glue. It was trashed when I flipped it after that.

Well the ski has been flipped twice and that was over a month ago so i'm gessing its done. I guess its time to move on and install a tachometer of some sorts. How do i do this? Will a regular tachometer work on the 4 cyl setting?? I need ideas before i spend over 200 dollars on a used cluster...

If you will part with your broken display reasonbly I may be interested. I'm looking for one for just the face (If it is in good shape without broken buttons and minimal sun fading. My display works perfectly, it is just that the face is sun faded and is cracking around the buttons.

Anyway, just give me a shout. Would be enought to put a little towards a new MFD (you can probably luck on one for around $200 for a good working one in great shape on ebay and I think there are a couple in the classifieds as well). That would be your best bet to just remove and plug another in hastle free.

Jared

Sure i'll let u know if my brother decides to let it go or not:... I still need to solve my problem fellas come on... Any ideas? A wiring diagram for the stock dash might be useful... Maybe i can determine which are the power wires that turn it on.. If not then an aftermarket tack will do... I need cheap brands and how to connect it....

Quote Originally Posted by stang4u2nv View Post
    Well the ski has been flipped twice and that was over a month ago so i'm gessing its done. I guess its time to move on and install a tachometer of some sorts. How do i do this? Will a regular tachometer work on the 4 cyl setting?? I need ideas before i spend over 200 dollars on a used cluster...
    clck above in the links for parts, I'm pretty sure there is one there

I'll look around for it... Can anybody PLEASE look at my original question on the thread and answer that?

You can always go with a tiny tach and fine the tachometer signal wire and tap into it. That's all it needs I believe other then power and ground, and you can mount it anywhere. They are a small flatform digital readout tachometer. But, then what will you do about the fuel, oil, trim and other useful gauge functions? Ideally, your best bet is to try and replace it with an OEM one, or if you are handy with electronics split it apart and examine for damage. Of course, not all damage can be visible. Water can create a short on a circuit board which can cause certain electrical components to malfunction... Best of luck hope this can help a little.

Jared

Thats great info man... Now all i need is to know which one is the tach signal wire on the 99 ultra 150. The intall i'll do anywhere i feel but i need the tach wire color code to install it.

With a tiny tach you just wrap the trigger wire arround on of the plug wire 4 turns. You dont have to tap anything

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information