2006 F-12x Service

Good Evenin,
    Just got a quote from Manchester Honda for $150 for a winterization plus $80 to change the oil in my 2006 F-12x. I remember paying about the same ammount last year, and I've never serviced it by myself. Isn't this an outragous price, and how hard would it be to do all of this work myself?

Thanks Everyone!
    Ed

+1
    Those really are not outrageous prices if they are labor and materials too. The anti freeze, oil filter, oil and labor are items to consider. It is not that hard to do if you have access to a shop manual or a link on the 2 forums [here/pwctoday.com] that explains how to do it.

wish i'd seen this sooner. I have 2 skis so multiply that times 2 and I decided to give it a shot on my own...I guess only time will tell if I did it right or not. I am saving the oil changes for spring so I just fogged the cylinders (first time doing that, hope I did it right), sprayed some CRC in the maint joint, sprayed down the engine, and then ran the antifreeze through it (which was really quite easy)....

on a related note, I believe you spray the engine down with CRC so any condensation in the hull doesnt sit on stuff and rust it? Is condensation really an issue in the cold winter air? I am planning on putting some desiccant in there in like march so as soon as it does get warm out and there actually is condensation it will be absorbed by the desiccant and the hull will be dry (ideally) when I actually take em out for the first time. Anyone else do this?

oh, and where do you ride? I bought my ski's up in northern MA but I ride in north eastern CT (and all along the new england coast) and live in central CT so Manchester Honda is the dealer I am going to be going to with any issues/problems. Went in there for some advice once (not sure how that went) and for parts another time...thats about all the experience I have with em

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slug420 View Post
    I am saving the oil changes for spring
    Personally, my only concerns with leaving used engine oil in the sump over winter / storage is the fact that a by product of combustion is acids. Engine oil that is approaching the end of its service life will have "used" all it's reserve alkalinity and be bordering on being acidic. Not a good thing sitting in the engine for an extended period of time, esp harsh the bearings... I would definitely change the oil before storage...

Quote Originally Posted by hondaturboboy View Post
    Personally, my only concerns with leaving used engine oil in the sump over winter / storage is the fact that a by product of combustion is acids. Engine oil that is approaching the end of its service life will have "used" all it's reserve alkalinity and be bordering on being acidic. Not a good thing sitting in the engine for an extended period of time, esp harsh the bearings... I would definitely change the oil before storage...
    right on time responding to this 1.5 yrs later.

If I am putting in Mobil1 4T (motorcycle oil) and riding say...40 hours..or maybe 20 hours per summer...do you think I am at risk of what you described above? I feel like this oil is probably brand new when I am taking it out given that it is (I think) a high end, full synthetic motor oil and I am only using it for a limited amount of time.

Thread Information