This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

with this ring I thee wed...

Well I finally had to replace a stainless steel ring on a driveshaft job (it was so beat to crap I didn't want to chance it not sealing) and box the new one is simply a work of art..deserves to be mounted on a trophy stand...or pehaps if two ski mechanics got married...

I'll sleep better knowing that the seal is pretty much assured on this ski..new carbon(e) ring, new accordion boot and stainless ring.

never had one that actually had surface damage before..this was one tough bugger. This is why it's a good idea to keep a clean hull..when this ski started to sink there was all kinds of crap in there to grind the seals and carbon ring to uselessness.

+1

Can I up grade when it time.

I have a 95 xp 720 with the long drive shaft. I was thinking about putting the newer ceramic seal on. like 96 spx 720. Not sure if it will fit. THANKS
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Well I finally had to replace a stainless steel ring on a driveshaft job (it was so beat to crap I didn't want to chance it not sealing) and box the new one is simply a work of art..deserves to be mounted on a trophy stand...or pehaps if two ski mechanics got married...

I'll sleep better knowing that the seal is pretty much assured on this ski..new carbon(e) ring, new accordion boot and stainless ring.

never had one that actually had surface damage before..this was one tough bugger. This is why it's a good idea to keep a clean hull..when this ski started to sink there was all kinds of crap in there to grind the seals and carbon ring to uselessness.
    Last edited by 20 feet Boy; 10-24-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Got any Pix ?

..... just if anyone is interested, I have an OEM Accordion Boot, Carbon Seal, SS "Top Hat' and O-Rings with mounting Clamps (the entire assy.) I'll let go for $30-shipped (USA only)

Fresh Water, very good condition...

David

+1

I don't think I can up grade

My drive shaft would have to be up grade to a new style. The carbon ring style needs that fat flat space on the drive shaft and I am not buying a new one at $200 . So I will just repair it with bearing and seal when it is time.

Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    My drive shaft would have to be up grade to a new style. The carbon ring style needs that fat flat space on the drive shaft and I am not buying a new one at $200 . So I will just repair it with bearing and seal when it is time.
    Most people replace the carbon ring setup with the older one you have...it was a better design.

Anything seadoo could do to save a penny, they did.

+1

OK thanks

I have sunk my old one before when the bearing lock up and rip the rubber boot. I had to also replace the piece that epoxy on the hull. Was thinking about replacing the bearings and seals. And thought i would find out if there was a better way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnetonka4me View Post
    Most people replace the carbon ring setup with the older one you have...it was a better design.

Anything seadoo could do to save a penny, they did.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

i prefer the grease gun

to a prayer..specially after hearing how something getting sucked up in the pump can dislodge the carbon seal setup and sink the ski. I see some advantage to both styles however.

Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    I have sunk my old one before when the bearing lock up and rip the rubber boot. I had to also replace the piece that epoxy on the hull. Was thinking about replacing the bearings and seals. And thought i would find out if there was a better way.
    Yeah you gotta grease them...thats for sure. I do it every 2-3 rides.

+1

thanks

Thread Information