Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Suggestion - Sluggish GP1300r - No top speed

Hello, new to the forum and to Waverunners. I am mechanically inclined and usually try to fix things first if possible. I have a 2003 GP1300r, which up until yesterday was running flawlessly. It has 170 hrs on it, but was taken care of. I ran it yesterday and from the start I could tell there was an issue with the idle, it was barely idling and would cut out if I didnt feather the throttle. From there the performance was sluggish getting up to a plane, and the ski wouldnt go over 50 mph at any point. The RPM's would not go over around 5800. I have removed the exhaust for inspection of the cat and it looks good to me, completely intact and nothing restrictive in the waterbox. Not really sure where to go from here. Here is what I have thought it could be (not knowing the intricacies of this engine, but wanted to get some expert opinions:

Water in gas??
    Bad gas - not old gas (I have been running the ski about once a week, always fresh gas)
    Clogged fuel filter
    Spark plugs
    Compression Issue - but it is running up to 50mph consistently

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks

+1
    check the compression. a gauge shouldnt be more than 30 bucks at advance auto or napa. my ski started doing this same thing, it wouldnt start, or idle, but it took me (165) and my dad (185) to 62 on the stock speedo, which is probably about 55mph gps.

when i got it home i bought a compression checker and my middle cyl had dropped to 40 psi. i pulled it apart and i had a broken powervalve, which chewed up a piston.

if your compression checks out fine (120 psi across all 3) then its something else.

the pin came out of my powervalve, thats what wave eater clips are designed to prevent.

let us know anything else you find out

What is the compression? Are the spark plugs fouled? Have you ever inspected the injectors?

Thanks for the quick replies. In doing some more research I think it could be a powervalve issue - hope its not though. I will go buy a compression gauge and post my numbers. I will also check the plugs while they are out. No, gaviski, have not checked the injectors yet. Is that something I can do? Thanks for your quick responses!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Thanks - well I went and bought a compression checker. Results are as follows:

Cylinder 1 (may not be right cylinder #, but cylinder closest to back of ski) : 100 psi
    Cylinder 2 : 105 psi
    Cylinder 3 : 110 psi

each cylinder went up by 5 psi as I tested them. Probably did something wrong or a cheap gauge. But at any rate the compression seems to be ok. Still could be the powervalves though right? Maybe stuck closed or open. How can I test this. I have seen that if you manually open/close them you should be able to generate max rpm??

Moderated
    although i dont own a pv ski i have read you can test the servo motors which are known to fail.

here are some related threads on pv issues which may help

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...light=pv+servo

your compression is also a bit low , it should be around 115-120 psi and with the amount of hours you have on it you should consider giving it a new top end which would give it a new lease on life.

An easy way to test the servo is crank the ski and look at the pulley. If you hear the servo move and see the pulley move it is fine. Unless it slipped out of the link...

+1
    the pv servo will cycle when you shut the ski off. with the seat off, under the glove box theres a square rubber thing that covers it, pull it back, and youll see a small wheel about an inch in diamater. turn the ski on or crank it for a few seconds, then cut it off. about 3 seconds later the wheel should twist clockwise to this position

then back to its resting spot which is with the left most cable hole at 6 o clock.

mine was stuck in the open position which is the picture above, and my holeshot sucked but top end was great, if yours is stuck with the wheel down, meaning more clockwise, it would give you a good acceleration but no top end power

It looks like the pv is in its proper place. The servo motor cycles twice when I shut down the ski, goes counter clockwise twice and then rests in the correct (i think based on fivespeedsteeds picture/post). I have replaced the spark plugs and will put fresh gas in it tomorrow and test. Any other suggestions on what this could be? I do not know how to check the fuel injectors but will if someone can let me know how. Hoping that it was either the plugs or gas, but I usually dont have that kind of luck. Thanks for everyones help so far!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Servo-GP1300r.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	218747  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information