Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to the Yamaha PWC world.

Hello everyone,

I acquired a couple PWCs the other day and going to make them a winter project. One is a 1999 Yamaha XLT1200. I was told the engine was bad, but I have not tried to start it yet. It has been sitting for a couple years, so I need some advice on what to do 1st. I plan to drain the gas, check the compression. What else should I do before I try to start it?

Also, if the engine is bad, how do I identify the engine so I can prepare to replace, rebuild or repair it?

Thanks

PS: the other one is a 97 Sea Doo 800. I assume the same proceedure for the Yamaha will work with the Sea Doo.

+1
    just make sure compression is good, get good fuel in there, pull a plug, ground it and put it in a spark plug boot and turn it over see if it sparks then see if it fires up. if not check and make sure its getting fuel. if it does have to be fixed take pictures of stuff well tell you what you can reuse and what you need to buy

+1
    +1 I would also consider mixing some 2 cycle oil with the new gas 40-1. the oil wont hurt she may be a little dry from sitting some oil in cylinders wouldn't hurt. its better to be safe than sorry check your oil injection lines they do dry shrink and pull off.

+1 on grounding the plugs when checking. I forgot one time and it kinda hurt.

+1
    welcome to the forum

Thanks guys, Well, it seems to have more issues than I knew about. The rear cylinder is off of the engine and it obvious that the piston is scored. Can one cylinder be bored and the piston replaced?

I am also considering just have the whole thing rebuild or swapping it for a rebuilt short block. Who has the best price on this type work?

Thanks

Also, I am missing a big piece of the exhaust, from and bulkhead behind the engine forward to the right side. From what I can tell it looks like it might have a catalytic converter in it???? and looks expensive. Is there an aftermarket piece I can get?

+1
    the cat typically breaks apart, get a riva racing or R&D d plate and chip. it replaces the cat.

you can just redo one cyl jug and get it replated, and get a new piston, but your starting the clock on your motor all out of whack. not a big deal i fyou know you might be dropping another piston sooner than if you ahd redone all 3. 3 new pistons matched to 3 newly redone jugs will run you about a grand from millenium tech. rough price estimate.

OK, here are some pictures of the engine, Looks pretty typical of what I have seen on this board. Have most people found it better to go with a single cylinder rebuild or a total rebuild? I am working on a budget and need to get the most bang for the buck.

+1
    the good pistons look dry. the cross hatching stands out to me. id do it all at once, you got all winter. call millenium technologies to get your cyls recoated and have pro x pistons matched to them. should be about a grand for 3 pistons and redoing 3 jugs. then if your ski has more than 150 hours on it id get a crank too. and new oil seals either way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information