Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What metals can be Powdercoated?

Just a FYI. I went by the Powder Coater near my house and asked if aluminum and Stainless Steel can be Powdercoated. He said YES to both. Yes even non-magnetic stainless steel like our stators on the Pros.

Of course other metal can be coated too. ie...cast iron, steel , But those dont really apply to jetskis..

So that means, driveshafts, head pipes,triple pipes. log pipe,carbs,intakes,jugs,cases, intake grates, cylinder heads,rideplates, pump shoe,4 inch extentions,exit nozzles,stainless steel pumps, alum pumps,stator covers, Bolts and handle bars all can be powdercoated with a variety of colors and special color mixes..

I was wondering if a wear ring has some clearence issues with the impellor, if powdercoating could take up the gap and restore it to new like tolerences? You can build the thickness to whatever you need. usually it get applied between 30-50 um's thickness. it can be applied thicker if needed.

Then use a thermoset to cure the coating. That way you would get a crosslinking of the material which makes it super strong. better than a thermset which is heated the same way but doesnt produce the thermosets qualities..

Maybe even the IMPELLOR could be powdercoated also.. I wonder if it would peel off from the rpms its turning?. yes, it can be put on super smooth.

I bet if you have some cavatation going on, you would see that pretty easily. I bet the coating would strip off where it was cavatating.

I also wonder if you were in salt water, if this would prevent corrosion of these parts subjected to salt water all the time?.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff being applied and the results?

They also say UV rays can destroythe coating after about 5 years being in the sun..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    In salt water, the stainless steel doesn't corrode much because the nearby aluminum sections provide anodic protection for the SS.

The aluminum parts in the same salt water do corrode, and that is what the sacrificial anode puck is there for, bolted to the aluminum pump base.

For aluminum parts, the less bare metal exposed to the salt water, the better.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    In salt water, the stainless steel doesn't corrode much because the nearby aluminum sections provide anodic protection for the SS.

The aluminum parts in the same salt water do corrode, and that is what the sacrificial anode puck is there for, bolted to the aluminum pump base.

For aluminum parts, the less bare metal exposed to the salt water, the better.
    That little anode doesn't do squat from what Iv'e seen on some salt water alum parts. lol Iv'e seen alum stators wasted from the saltwater. anode or not.. yeah, I guess the SS stuff is ok.

You definately have too much spare time on your hands.... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 785 Pro Mick View Post
    You definately have too much spare time on your hands.... LOL
    +1 I was thinking they should have powder Coated the metal plate in bows skull, I think there is some serious RFI going on in there lol jk bow

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post

+1 I was thinking they should have powder Coated the metal plate in bows skull, I think there is some serious RFI going on in there lol jk bow
    With our luck, the powdercoating would be TOXIC and he'd be worse (like cousin Eddie from the vacation movies).. LOL

+1
    Well at least I got YOU to read it huh? YOUR AS BORED AS I AM! Well anyways, I'm going to get the pipes powdercoated along with the collector..Maybe the Head pipes too. Was just asking if anyone has done this before.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Well at least I got YOU to read it huh? YOUR AS BORED AS I AM! Well anyways, I'm going to get the pipes powdercoated along with the collector..Maybe the Head pipes too. Was just asking if anyone has done this before.
    Seriously??? Powder coating??? Really??? I would have expected you to polish all those parts and make them shine!!!

...or spray them with red Metalcast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    What color are you thinking?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information