Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help with rebuild

I will be sending my 1200 Pv out to be rebuilt soon and have two choices for the repair. Should I have it sleved with all new parts or have the cylinders honed out and new parts installed. The later is cheaper and sounds better than adding sleeves. I dont know what to do. I need the motor to last. Both have a warranty on the work.

+1
    it would be better to go back oem if all possible if your cylinders arent scared you may be able to use them or have them replated. can you post some pics. of your motor, if you want it to last then premix would be a good option.

+1
    What was the cause of the engine failure in the first place? Broken powervalve or oil line coming off are the usual suspects. Find out to prevent another failure.
    Your cylinders are lined with nikasil and, if damaged, can almost never be honed. If your service tech gave you that as an option I would find another tech. Cylinders must be stripped of nikasil, repaired and re-nikasiled. Around $300 each from Millenium Technologies.
    Sleeving would be a viable option if you're going to leave the motor stock and get a decent warranty. (At least one year)
    If you have the time, desire, and space to do the rebuild yourself it would be well worth it. Folks here are a great help and the experience will serve to help you in the future.

+1
    If the cylinders arent scored, you can hone them

The oil line came off and locked up the motor. #3 was the problem. He will replace the bad cylinder and rebuild the motor with new parts for $1000 and give a one year warranty. I'm not sure if this is the best way. I plan on leaving the motor stock and just want it trouble free.

+1
    that sounds pretty cheap make sure the guy knows what he's doing. when you lose an oil line and lock the motor its a good chance you ruined the crank bearings on that cylinder which means you need a new crank or a good used one. you can pay up to 900 dollars or more for just the crank plus the cylinder and piston rings. you can find cranks pretty affordable just have to do some searching. i saw one in the classifieds just the other day.good luck do your homework you can save a lot of time and money.

+1
    just checked the classified the guy who has it is smacota1 he may still have it. the the post is on page 2 in the yamaha classifieds.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    just checked the classified the guy who has it is smacota1 he may still have it. the the post is on page 2 in the yamaha classifieds.
    I have a OEM rebuilt trued/welded crank in stock for sale

+1
    you should send your motor to WFO , he's been doing this for a long time and has parts in stock...imho

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    you should send your motor to WFO , he's been doing this for a long time and has parts in stock...imho
    Thanks!

be glad to do it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information