Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engine Locked?

Engine Locked?

I have a 97 GTX 800 that I just acquired and I can't tell if the engine is locked. I put a pair of vice grips on the output shaft and cannot turn it. I then took off the head and can see that the pistons are not stuck but there seems to be something else keeping the engine from moving. Is there something in the front cover that could have come loose and is jammed in the fly wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
    I have a 97 GTX 800 that I just acquired and I can't tell if the engine is locked. I put a pair of vice grips on the output shaft and cannot turn it. I then took off the head and can see that the pistons are not stuck but there seems to be something else keeping the engine from moving. Is there something in the front cover that could have come loose and is jammed in the fly wheel?

Inspect the pump or just pull it. Then see if the engine is still locked up.

Sounds like you may have striped the brass gear. I have had ones that would spin NP and others that there was no way u could turn it. rest of the motor was fine but half the gear was gone. sounds like u will have to pull the motor. or u might have seized pistons. or try blasting some oil in the spark plug holes and let it sit for a few hours then try again.

I can tell the pistons are not stuck, cause I pulled the head and can see them moving a little in the cylinder. Where is this brass gear?

+1
    was this ski sitting for quite some time upon acquiring her? If the piston moves ever so slightly it quite possible may be seized up. Looks like you'll have to dig a little further to truly confirm.

+1

The brass gear is in the middle of case it is the gear that runs off the crank

I can tell the pistons are not stuck, cause I pulled the head and can see them moving a little in the cylinder. Where is this brass gear?
    It turns the rotary valve shaft that is on the side of the motor on the intake side. I would check all options before check that. The starter might be stuck on the fly wheel. Sometimes the starter locks open and will not let the motor turn over. check the pump. Bearing might have lock up. check the magneto. Ones I had a piece metal stuck on my. It was jam between the fly wheel and the magneto. It made the motor not turn over. I don't think it is this. But it might be. That is all I can think of unless some water rusted the crank. I hope this helps.

OK, I found the problem....the impeller is stuck on the wear ring, I lubed it and can get it to move with a brass drift and a hammer but cannot move it by hand....is it supposed to be that tight?

OK, I found the problem....the impeller is stuck on the wear ring, I lubed it and can get it to move with a brass drift and a hammer but cannot move it by hand....is it supposed to be that tight?

Did you remove it first? Only one way to know for sure and that is to take it off the ski. Unless of course you check the fluid and find it rusted out inside because that would be a clear sign of an issue.

+1
    Remove your spark plugs then try spinning by hand. Should be able to spin it by hand.

agood1 either way (be it an engine prob or with pump) the pump will need to come off the ski. If the engine eventually has to come out you will need to realign it. So just pull the pump if you think that is what it could be.

Petron post one states he had the head off the ski and it would not turn over.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information