+1

Bump Start Button While Winterizing

While winterizing my ski yesterday, after I sprayed some fogging oil in to the cylinders I bumped the start button 6/7 times without letting ski turn over to get the oil mixed in. I noticed a bit of smoke coming from under the engine near the battery wires. At that point the ski wouldnt turn over. I waited about ten minutes and tried again and the ski turned over. Is it possible that the starter just overheated???

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    magic smoke coming from the starter area isn't a good sign..not likely you overheated the starter..but a loose starter motor wire connection is a possibility..no problems with the starter previous?

some dripping fog oil ( if you sprayed into the airbox instead of the plug holes may be the culprit..but a check of the starter motor connections ( and crank voltage when starting might be a good idea)

Too much fogging oil through the plug hole will hydrolock the motor, so you have to be careful...a little goes a long way. Just spraying fogging oil in the plug hole won't give you the protection you need...it HAS to come in through the carbs to coat the crank and rods.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Too much fogging oil through the plug hole will hydrolock the motor, so you have to be careful...a little goes a long way. Just spraying fogging oil in the plug hole won't give you the protection you need...it HAS to come in through the carbs to coat the crank and rods.
    Well it's a Yammi 4 stroke, so no carbs & plenty of oil sloshing around the crank area.

I would fog through the intake, then run the motor at idle for 10-15 secs.......this does a good job of coating the upper internals, particularly the valve stems.

+1
    Thanks guys, I always spray thru the air intake until ski stalls out. Then I take the plugs out and spray into each cylinder and put plugs back and bump the starter a few times just to get the rods moving a bit to coat them for extra protection. I am pretty sure that some fogging oil dripped down near the starter which got hot from the bumping and created the smoke. Well I guess I have to wait to the spring to find out, i'll keeep my fingers crossed!!
    If not at least I have the Y.E.S warranty. But the most important thing is that the ski did start once it cooled down!!

+1
    Go through and one by one remove each spark plug, and spray fogging oil into the cylinder for 2-3 seconds with the straw supplied with the fogging oil, then replace the spark plug and move onto the next cylinder. This is also a good time to check and gap your spark plugs, or replace them if need be. When all of the cylinders have been fogged, bump the starter a few times to distribute the oil through the cylinder.

The procedure for fogging a supercharged/turbo engine is different from a N/A engine because liquid striking the fins of the blower will cause the blower to self-destruct.

I found this post in the winterize/summarize sticky. Correct me if i am wrong, but doesnt the intake go right to the supercharger. I am a little confused, should i just spray the fogging oil into the intake after removing the filter? can someone clarify?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniChunks View Post

I found this post in the winterize/summarize sticky. Correct me if i am wrong, but doesnt the intake go right to the supercharger. I am a little confused, should i just spray the fogging oil into the intake after removing the filter? can someone clarify?
    To fog the SHO......... take the hose off the oil separator at the rear......(the separator is black with the cooling fins on it) then spray fogging oil into it for 5 seconds with the engine running.........shut the engine off until your ready to ride again.

+1
    at that point why not just disconnect that tube where it is connected at the other end closer to the intake. is that so you dont get a concentrated shot right at the supercharger wheel?

+1
    Thats the way the manual says to do it......can't tell you the specific reason for fogging at that point.

+1
    sorry about the stupid question. i looked in that manual for a week and somehow missed the entire chapter on that kind of stuff. boy do i feel stupid

Thread Information