Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Best Way to Check Charging System??

Just wondering if anyone as ever had an alternator or a regulator go bad and what is the best way to check them. The battery is brand new and is 12.7 volts static. Could I just hook the battery up to a multimeter while I am running it and would it read 14 volts if it was charging from the regulator??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJaga View Post
    ...ever had an alternator or a regulator go bad and what is the best way to check them?

The battery is brand new and is 12.7 volts static.

Could I just hook the battery up to a multimeter while I am running it and would it read 14 volts if it was charging from the regulator??
    That is exactly how it is done.

14.0 to 14.5 volts is the normal range, give or take. Must be over 13.5 volts at a minimum while engine is running.

Voltage must remain fairly stable as engine is revved.

LR voltage regulator modules can and do fail.

Stator is easily checked using an ohm-meter. Stator Red/Purple to Yellow must be within spec for ohms (unplugged from the terminal board, of course) and have no connection to engine ground (very high or infinite ohms).

Don't think I am doing this right. There are three yellow wires from the alternator that plug directly into the regulator. The connector coming out of the regulator and going to the starting block is red and black. Do I unplug the red and black connector and check the ohms across those two wires. Unless there are more wires somewhere to be checking....... I don't see a red/purple wire.Thanks in advance for the help.

+1
    Don't think I am doing this right. There are three yellow wires from the alternator that plug directly into the regulator.

The connector coming out of the regulator and going to the starting block is red and black.

Do I unplug the red and black connector and check the ohms across those two wires?
    Unless there are more wires somewhere to be checking.......

I don't see a red/purple wire....
    Many wires have two colors, the primary color and a thin stripe of the secondary color.

The red wire on your LR module is actually Red/Purple. The colors can fade and sometimes are hard to discern.

To ohm test the stator, you need to find and unplug the Yellow and Red/Purple wires that go to the stator. Then connect your ohm-meter to the unplugged ends.

The stator coil is very low resistance, under 1.0 ohm.
    My ohm-meter measurements don't exactly agree with the service manual specifications. Is this OK?

Stator charging coil measurements
    Fuji engines (except Pro 785)
    Red/Purple to Yellow: 0.6 ohms (Alternator coil - battery charging)
    Red/Purple or Yellow to Black: Infinite/open/no connection

Domestic red engines
    Yellow to Red/Purple: 0.75 ohms
    Yellow or Red/Purple to engine block: no connection/infinite

Ok, so I did some rookie mechanic-ing this morning and changed out the regulator. Had a spare from the other jet ski and its a good thing because I broke the fuel rail last night when removing the inter cooler. I did say rookie mechanic-ing!! Man I kick myself for that mistake, but had a spare one of those too. Just increases the cost of rebuilding the other one. Won't make that mistake again. So I am going to run it this afternoon. Electrical stuff has never been my strong area but if it isn't showing 14 volts today on the launch ramp then I will tackle this again. I must be looking in the wrong area, unless there are more wires that come off the alternator somewhere, the service manual shows the charging system as Three Yellow-three yellow into regulator then Red/Black out through a 30 amp fuse into the starter block to charge the battery. I have tried tracing the line back but can't even find the 30 amp fuse plug. It fires up so their isn't a problem with the ignition I don't even know what or where this CDI thing is to even begin trying to test it. I cross my fingers the other regulator will work and I can take my time looking for all the stuff in your post for when I install the engine in the other MSX. Sorry I am an infant when it comes to electrical connections and sensors. Hopefully with some help I can grow up to a toddler and maybe even a teenager.

+1
    ...when removing the inter cooler...
    I just realized your Polaris has a Weber engine!

The charging system diagnostics I provided only apply to the Polaris 2-stroke engines, not the Weber 4-stroke turbo engine.

The Weber is completely different from all the other Polaris PWC engines. That includes the charging system.

Do you have 14.x volts at the battery when the engine is running?
    If yes, then the charging system is working.

+1

Ok. Thank goodness. I really was going crazy there. Well, apparently the regulator was not the issue. The ski runs great save for the slightly sticking wastegate. No check engine lights, 5800-6000 rpm limited a few of the times but a few times it would go all the way to 7800 and fly so I think the wastegate needs some lube. I can move it with my hand alright but not too worried about that issue right now.

Had a multimeter hooked to the battery the whole time and never once did it show 14 volts. I knew once I started it that it wasn't working right but I had to have some fun on it. So the only thing left to check is that 30amp fuse which I have no idea where to find but find it I will. After that it's pull the engine and replace the alternator. BOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Anyways, good off season project even though it's still in the 80's here in late October. Unless anyone has any other suggestions. The system seems pretty simple. Good practice for me for learning more about the engine and where things go. I will try and take photos as I go to post on the forum as a HOW to CHANGE YOUR ALTERNATOR IN THE MSX 150 or something. Thanks for the help K.

+1
    the fuses are hanging from the harness above the battery. they are inside plastic covers. to test charging I usually check battery voltage before I start it and then after. If it goes up at all even the slightest, its charging. If its below 14 then it probably needs a battery. you can test the stator by checking the ohms across the three yellow wires. I believe around 1.5 ohms. also check for power and ground at the red and black wires going to the regulator

+1
    ... apparently the regulator was not the issue. ...
    How did you determine that the regulator was good?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information