+1

2000 Ultra 150 -- Worth buying?

I've been on Greenhulk for a long time on the Polaris section. The other day I happened across a deal locally for two 2000 Ultra 150's on a double trailer. The guy is asking $1200 for the whole deal. I have not looked at them but the owner claims both need engine work. He says one runs but smokes a lot.

If I bought these skis it would be to repair them and flip them next year. Give me a manual, all the specs, and a troubleshooting guide and I can fix just about anything. Obviously without looking at the skis I'm shooting in the dark here. What kind of money am I looking at if I need a complete motor in one or both of these skis? If the hulls are in pretty good condition would these be worth pursuing?

Thanks in advance.

KJ

+1
    Depending on what is really wrong with them, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. The one that smokes a lot could just have a broken cable on the oil pump.

+1
    So the Kawi's use a variable flow oil pump that defaults to 40:1 (or something like that) if the carb linkage fails? I know that's how the Mikuni variable rate pumps on the Polaris skis work.

I may have to take a compression gauge and spark tester with me and have a look at these skis. The local shop here is notorious for not really wanting to fix skis if there seems to be anything wrong with the engine internally. They'll gladly throw in an SBT reman for you plus about $1500 install fee, but really fixing problems is a stretch. Plus, being 10 year old skis they really don't care to mess with these. So, it could be a case of the owner feeling like there's nowhere to go so he's just giving up.

I think I'll have to give these a look this weekend.

KJ

+1
    A good double trailer is worth $600+. Working displays are worth $200 each. Pumps, engines (even as cores), carbs, electronics, etc. are worth a fair amount. I don't think you could go wrong!

Besides, if you get the one running right, you'll never get on the Polaris again!

+1
    Well, I should have acted sooner.....they're gone. I need to stop thinking and just jump when I see deals like this.

+1
    Bummer! You don't see deals like that very often!

I've bought a couple of old, non-running 'Skis lately that I could have parted out and made money. Unfortunately, I've ended up fixing them and I've probably got more in them than they're worth...

Oh, well...

Thread Information