First Winter - Closed Loop Questions ???

First post here...but spent lots of time reading and researching. We got a practically brand new MSX 150 as part of a condo purchase and have really enjoyed it this summer. I never was much of a PWC guy...but the kids have loved it...and we have used it for everything from just play riding to tubing to fishing!

Anyway - first winter for us and I am a bit stumped as I have both the owners manual and the service manual and both are pretty darn vague WRT winterizing!

I have done a complete oil change (paying attention to bad oil level indicator from Polaris/Weber), and put new coolant in as well (the same Al safe stuff I use in my bikes). All seems good.

I did a quick fog with about 20 cc of 2 stroke oil down the plug hole and a quick crank as well.

Pulled the battery leads and threw my multi maintainer on it.

The ski will spend all winter in my garage - insulated, but not heated. Temps in the garage will hit 20ish in the dead of winter.

Am I done?

The manual mentions something about a "Flush KIt" and to flush out the open lop system - but I dont see any open loop system (other than the jet system). There are no obvious drains etc. I simply loaded it on the trailer gave her a few revs and towed it to my garage.

I have put plenty of mtoros down for the winter...but this is my first closed loop water device and want to make sure that in May - she lights back up!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Is this a salt water or fresh water machine?

The Weber engine uses a heat exchanger between the closed loop cooling for the engine and the pressurized open loop cooling water flow from the jet pump.

The jet pump cooling water feed can be seen along the right side of the actual jet pump. There is a stout tube that routes pressurized water from the pump nozzle forward through the pump base and into the hull, where a 3/4 inch hose connects.

The jet pump flow goes through the heat exchanger and some is injected into the exhaust system to cool the water box. The water box accumulates some water when riding. Your throttle blips should have cleared most of the excess water out of the water box, but some always remains.

There is some info posted around here regarding using engine fogging oil spray on the Weber engines.

The main thing is to protect the engine top end against corrosion from the moisture that remains in the exhaust system during storage. The water box holds some water.

I don't know if it is required for the Weber engine, but what I do is slide the ski back on the trailer until it is just balanced, snug the straps and then tilt the nose as high as it will go. That allows as much water as possible to drain out of the open loop cooling system. Remove the hull drain plugs and let that drain too.

Leave the seat off so the interior can air dry as much as possible. Some of us spray a protectant such as Fluid Film or CRC an the exterior engine parts.

Don't forget to lubricate all the moving parts and cables.

This is a fresh only system.

As for an incline drain - our ramp out of the lake is VERY steep...so anything held in place by gravity generally runs out. I always park on the steepest part of the ramp and pull the plugs etc to allow the earth to do its thing.

So this open loop system is only pressurized under way and once shut off esentailly drains out? Other than some leftover...it is drained once the motor shits off right?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by illin View Post
    ...So this open loop system is only pressurized under way and once shut off esentailly drains out?

Other than some leftover...it is drained once the motor shuts off right?
    I am not a Weber engine expert, but I think this is the case.

One of the Weber engine fellows may respond with more certainty, but it could be a while as some of them are not on here every day.

Thread Information