Thread: oil change!

+1

oil change!

Need to do an oil change on a speedster 200 with twin 215hp.
    I know how to do an oil change but how do you crank the engine without starting it if you are alone and cannot have any help. Unplug injectors and coils??

I have done a sportster 150 last week and was able to stretch long enough to hold throttle body wide open with one hand and push the start button with my foot but just can't do it on a 20 foot boat as I'm only 5'10'' ha ha.

Thanks guy's!!

Banned User
    +1
    Not sure if this works on the ski boats, but on the pwc's, you hold the throttle in 100% (wot) and crank the engine.... It won't start as the ecu doesn't allow it.

Better make sure though, as I can imagine on some cable throttle systems, it may actually start!

Not sure what years are covered for this method either.

Edit: I don't see how you can't do this? You're only meant to crank it for a few secs and hold the throttle wide open using the hand control? Maybe I can't picture your situation.

+1
    I had a 150, same as a ski... push the throttle lever to WOT and hit start...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lolzer View Post
    Not sure if this works on the ski boats, but on the pwc's, you hold the throttle in 100% (wot) and crank the engine.... It won't start as the ecu doesn't allow it.

Better make sure though, as I can imagine on some cable throttle systems, it may actually start!

Not sure what years are covered for this method either.

Edit: I don't see how you can't do this? You're only meant to crank it for a few secs and hold the throttle wide open using the hand control? Maybe I can't picture your situation.
    You can't do it with hand controls cause it need to be in neutral to crank it and in neutral it won't allow to push accelerator. The only way to do it is by manually open throttle body at the engine and then crank it, it works and I was able to do it on a 150 but I can't stretch long enough to do it on a 200.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    I had a 150, same as a ski... push the throttle lever to WOT and hit start...
    Unless I'm missing something, how do you push throttle lever to WOT in neutral, it won't go cause controls are locked and if in forward it won't crank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pass1 View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, how do you push throttle lever to WOT in neutral, it won't go cause controls are locked and if in forward it won't crank.
    shift it into F.... If your worried try it first with oil in it I know i did it with my 150 and it worked. You can also just ziptie the TB open.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    shift it into F.... If your worried try it first with oil in it I know i did it with my 150 and it worked. You can also just ziptie the TB open.
    Problem is in F it wont crank, need to be in N to crank it. Might try the zip tie method.

Just dont forget to undo the ziptie or else you might have a scary suprise next time you launch it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    Just dont forget to undo the ziptie or else you might have a scary suprise next time you launch it
    Yeah... I see what you mean... no start.

Thread Information