Size of oil line

Still troubleshooting oil leak in the hull. It is a 1999 900 stx with 59 hours.

Thinking about changing the the oil line. What size is it? How many feet do i need?

In the meantime, I am going to clean the hull and then wrap the oil line with cotton at the connecting points (zip ties) then go for a ride this thursday. Okay to do this?

Thanks.

tntrac

+1
    Pump to carbs, 1/8" ID, about 7 feet will do it.

Tank to pump, 1/4" ID, about 2 feet will do it.

Don't rely on zip-ties to hold them in place, use stainless steel safety wire.

I am still trying to find my leak but cannot access the 3 lines that go to the carbs. Do I have to remove most assembly to get access to it?

Also, the lines used for fuel can be used for oil? I bought some for the fuel primer but have left over.

Thanks a lot.

Tntrac

+1
    The hoses themselves may be leaking. Some people have found the hoses get brittle and crack with age.

Yes, you can use the primer line, but it if you're not sure it's polyurethane, make it extra long. Yamaha used some clear hose that would shrink a couple inches, pulling the hose off the fittings.

You may need a little more hose for the supply line on the STX. Kawasaki keeps moving the oil tank around on each model and year.

I just changed the lines from the pump to the carbs (1/8"). I think I found the leak (crossing my finger). It seems like the previous owner removed the carbs out and didn't place the gasket back properly. I saw oil around that area. Anyways, I got some gasket sealant in there now.

From the pump to the carbs, the oil lines don't have to be any sequence going to the carbs?

Thanks,
    Tntrac

Quote Originally Posted by tractng View Post

From the pump to the carbs, the oil lines don't have to be any sequence going to the carbs?

Thanks,
    Tntrac
    From the pump, there are three output lines going to the carbs. Does it matter which line go to which carb ?

+1
    You really don't want to use gasket sealer on the carbs. Sure makes a mess to service in the future.

On some engines, the oil lines go to specific places (Ultra 150). On your 900, I think they're all the same, but I don't know for sure.

Thread Information