I need help....what to do with blown 951cc 1998 GTX SE?

The piston skirts on both sides of the #2 (rear) piston came apart and the pieces locked up the engine. Very little damage to the crankcase, cyclinder wall, and no head damage. 240 hours on the unit. Always have used Seadoo oil. However, this last gallon was in a black and yellow gallon container listed as XPS 2 synthetic blend to be used in all BPR 2-stroke products i.e Skidoo, Lynx, SeaDoo, Rotax, CanAM. I am wondering if this oil changeup had something to do what my engine failure. Anyone else run into this?
    The question is what to do next. Anyone have any suggestions where to buy a replacement engine, i.e. new or rebuilt. New I can get for around $1,400 but no warranty if I do the work. SUCKS! Help!!
    Don

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by daalbrecht View Post
    The piston skirts on both sides of the #2 (rear) piston came apart and the pieces locked up the engine. Very little damage to the crankcase, cyclinder wall, and no head damage. 240 hours on the unit. Always have used Seadoo oil. However, this last gallon was in a black and yellow gallon container listed as XPS 2 synthetic blend to be used in all BPR 2-stroke products i.e Skidoo, Lynx, SeaDoo, Rotax, CanAM. I am wondering if this oil changeup had something to do what my engine failure. Anyone else run into this?
    The question is what to do next. Anyone have any suggestions where to buy a replacement engine, i.e. new or rebuilt. New I can get for around $1,400 but no warranty if I do the work. SUCKS! Help!!
    Don

Wow 240 hours is considered great for a 2 smoke.Time For a rebuild mate! Or go new if U can.....

Quote Originally Posted by daalbrecht View Post
    Don
    I would think that if your problem was due to using two diff. types of oil there would be evidence of gelling in the filter and in the bottom of the tank. 240 hours is a long time on a top end. Post pics of the damage if you really want to attract peoples opinions on what really happened. Show the tops and sides of the pistons, cylinder walls etc...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    +1 hard to say with out pix

A bore and topend kit! Get her back out on the water!

Mine did this at 150 hrs. I will not let a 951 go over 150 hrs without doing a top end. When the 951's go, it's spectacular.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    When the 951's go, it's spectacular.

Thread Information