Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Lauderdale Boat Show

Were there any Ultra 250's at the show ???????????????

+1
    Nope! Big disappointment. Riva had a '06 RXT Gold, a red RXP and an 07 Seadoo Speedster on display in the main tent at Bahia Mar. Lots of RIB's, outboards, but really no jetski's.

The mega yachts had lots of ski's in their garrage's and on top decks. Several jet turbine helipcopters were up there too.

I am surprised that Kawasaki didn't at least put a corporate face in there like Honda and Yamaha. Although those vendors just showed outboards in their booths.

They had lots of high end cars and motorcycles on display too.

What a missed opportunity! Over 100,000 attendees, almost 2 billion bucks worth of water toys on display..........

+1
    Kawasaki's marketing sucks. That's one reason they wemt from number 1 to fighting for 3rd place.

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    Kawasaki's marketing sucks. That's one reason they wemt from number 1 to fighting for 3rd place.

What??? Your smoking something.

Just because Kawi didnt show at a boat show doesnt make them bad. No one from any of the 4 manufacture showed PERSONAL WATERCRAFT at a BOAT SHOW. Smart thing too. That would be like Schwinn showing up at a Motorcycle show.

The only reason there were SeaDoo's is because Riva dragged them there.

Yamaha and Honda only showed off the Outboards they have for BOATS at a BOAT SHOW.

Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and SeaDoo all have different marketing angles. All work well.
    I believe Kawasaki does the MOST. The acually give back and support watercaft events. If you went to the World Finals you would know. Kawasaki not only dominated but had massive Reps, Rigs and Support Riders. Talk about marketing. Look at any World Finals photo and youll see Kawi everywhere. They put a huge amount of money into the sport we love. No other manufacture has Factory Supported riders nor sponsored the world finals as much. Yamaha and Honda didnt even show up.

Maybe do some real market research then post your findings and possibly even rethink that statement.

SeaDoo outsold everyone because of the SC RXP & RXT. Kawi was second becuase of the amount of 15F cruisers and SXR stand-ups. Im sure Yamaha was right ontop of them. Who knows where Honda was?

+1
    What about the guys/gals who could care less about racing and/or Havasu? How do they learn about PWC and what's out or available? I dunno, seems to me a boat show would be a great stop to make.
    I'm really glad I was able to see the boat at Havasu but I do wonder where I'd of been able to see it if not at Havasu...........

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    What about the guys/gals who could care less about racing and/or Havasu? How do they learn about PWC and what's out or available? I dunno, seems to me a boat show would be a great stop to make.
    I'm really glad I was able to see the boat at Havasu but I do wonder where I'd of been able to see it if not at Havasu...........

Why single out just Kawi. NONE of the watercraft manufactures showed watercraft at the Boat Show.

As far as seeing the new inventory, Well if you have a Watercraft show then you would have 4 booths. Thats it. Maybe some venders selling products but not much. Turn out would be low and booths would be empty. There just isnt much out there for watercraft compared to the boats.

Go to any dealer and ask what the lowest selling product is. They will tell you its watercraft, most sales are street bikes, dirt bikes and 4 wheelers.

Again every manufacture has a way of advertising. Kawasaki has found it in racing events. Mostly in part of the watercraft they sell are dominating the races. They also sponsor riders and orginizations such as the IJSBA or AWA. Plus countless units of the big three seaters are given to Law Enforcment and Life Guards

Im sure you will see alot about the 250. In the past few yrs Kawi has had nothing to call new or parade around about.

SeaDoo went big with the SC line and it drew alot of attention. Now that Kawi has joined ranks and soon Yami then you will see alot more debues.

Or maybe all manufactures show make Action Movie Clips.
    Last edited by Skips313; 10-31-2006 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Spelling is real bad

+1
    I seem to remember seeing a statistic somewhere that the PWC industry sold 200,000 units in 1999 but only 80,000 last year. Why the drop? Negative publicity? Unfavorable laws? Climate change?

Seems like there is a marketing problem here. The machines have become much less problematic, more fuel efficient, much less costly than most boats to run and store, etc.

From a business perspective I think the PWC industry blew it by not showing at the Lauderdale show. Most people walking around there had watches on that cost more than the average PWC! Americans are notorious impluse buyers. If you see it and like it, 10 to 1 you're gonna buy it if you have the bucks. All and I mean all of the mega yachts had a selection of toys on them ranging from PWC's, to Jet powered Helicopters. What do you do when you pull into a Caribbean port? You launch your toys. One of my friends captains a 110 foot Jet boat powered by 2 16,000hp Mercedes Benz Diesels. The first thing they deploy at a port is the owners Aqua Car, "Sponge Bob" (see pix)

If you want to sell more toys, put them in the toy store!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sponge Bob Car.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	10160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sponge Bob Car 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	10161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sponge Bob on deck.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	10166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Janika.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	10167  
    Last edited by tomgtv; 10-31-2006 at 08:03 AM.

+1

Strong Sales at Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show

Here's this morning's news article on the Ft. Lauderdale Boat show.
    Lots of boats sold............PWC's?? Zero.............
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...business-front

Good piont.

So lets think in the corperate mind frame. 10% of sales for 200,00 units yields more advertising money verses 10% of 80,000 units. 1999 the average price was 4500 OTD for a big ski and now its 12,500 OTD.

Just the way the marketing angles go, most have rezerved the advertising to put more money into research. SeaDoo went real quiete before the RXP & RXT.

AS far as the boat show then yes I too think they all should show but they all didnt.

Riva had a few SeaDoos and sold none.

Most who go to a boat show wanna see Boats. The other toys are there as tag alongs.

Lets be honest. Do you really think that watercraft has enough money to be doing all the shows and advertising. 80 thousand sales divided up between 4 manufacture is not a whole lot. Most going to SeaDoo which allows for more advertising funds.

Watercaft is about the size of Snowmobile. Bothe have little marketing going on.

Just an opinion.....
    Last edited by Skips313; 10-31-2006 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Added a line....

I think the consensus is that Kawi actually had something new and awesome to show, and didnt. There are many people at boat shows that are on the fence between a boat and a pwc. I would have been one of them. Not to mention, I thought a pwc was considered a boat?
    They may not have sold any but would have made their presence and mindset of consumers.
    Also there are people thinking they want a boat and see a pwc and its advantages only when it is introduced to them. How much could it really cost them to ship a pwc there and have a rep?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information