Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Daytona Beach
    Posts
    406

    what to do next?!

    i got my '09 wake pro running great with an X-charger, 42 lb injectors, riva pro series nozzle, and a few other minor things. i just picked up a riva ECU, 50 lb injectors, the older riva X-charger upgrade kit with a wheel and front housing, and a few other non-engine related items. right now with the X-charger my ski is turning 7800 rpm. i will be doing the valve train upgrade this winter, but would it be safe to run the ECU, injectors, and wheel upgrade and pitch the prop to keep it around 8100-8200 rpm? after the valve train upgrade, what should i pitch it to spin? i know i need to tweak my prop as it is if i don't upgrade anything else. but i figured going up to 20% or so more boost might raise it enough to get it up around 8100 rpm without going too much over that. i can also run a smaller exit on the nozzle, since i'm running an 84 mm now and have an 81 and 82 mm as well.

    also, how the heck do you guys keep your skis in the water when launching without having to worry too much about throttle control? my big heavy three seater with my fat butt on it jumps out of the water, the pump unloads, it drops back in the water, pops out again and the pump unloads, then settles in the water. i need to adjust the VTS down a little, since i seem to be getting top speed at the middle trim setting. the guy i got the ECU and other parts from said i should take the pump wedge out, since that is likely causing some issues on launch and i don't need it for top speed, since i've got VTS. any thoughts on that?

    thanks for any help and advice. this forum has been great in helping me get up to speed on my ski, since it is my first jet ski with barely 14 hours on it


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Daytona Beach
    Posts
    406
    i will also be installing a through hull exhaust later this week or this weekend. not sure that it will have that much effect on things, but i figured it is worth mentioning.

  3. #3
    mrbtd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    4,309
    +1
    2
    Dont run a Riva ECU @ 8200 it is pointless. Leave the s/c wheel off until the ski is turning 8500.

    If you want more then add the wheel and a regulator to add fuel up top.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Daytona Beach
    Posts
    406
    ok, so the main gain from the ECU is going to be getting the rpm's up. i'll wait till i get the valve train upgrade to do the ECU, injectors, and wheel. i'll just do some prop tweaking for now, since the 15/20 is a bit much for just the X-charger on my ski.

  5. #5
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    36,398
    +1
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    ok, so the main gain from the ECU is going to be getting the rpm's up.
    And a more aggressive timing curve.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Daytona Beach
    Posts
    406
    i figured the more aggressive timing of the RIVA ECU would help below 8200 rpm. would it be safe to prop it so it doesn't go over 8200 and still get the gains from the ECU and new charger wheel?

  7. #7
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    36,398
    +1
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    i figured the more aggressive timing of the RIVA ECU would help below 8200 rpm. would it be safe to prop it so it doesn't go over 8200 and still get the gains from the ECU and new charger wheel?
    Not without the valve train upgrade. Even if you over pitch it to run at 8200 RPM if you hit a wave and come unhooked the engine will rev to the rev limiter exceeding the limitations of your stock valve train.

  8. #8
    West Texas RXP skoepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    west texas
    Posts
    12,019
    +1
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    i got my '09 wake pro running great with an X-charger, 42 lb injectors, riva pro series nozzle, and a few other minor things. i just picked up a riva ECU, 50 lb injectors, the older riva X-charger upgrade kit with a wheel and front housing, and a few other non-engine related items. right now with the X-charger my ski is turning 7800 rpm. i will be doing the valve train upgrade this winter, but would it be safe to run the ECU, injectors, and wheel upgrade and pitch the prop to keep it around 8100-8200 rpm? after the valve train upgrade, what should i pitch it to spin? i know i need to tweak my prop as it is if i don't upgrade anything else. but i figured going up to 20% or so more boost might raise it enough to get it up around 8100 rpm without going too much over that. i can also run a smaller exit on the nozzle, since i'm running an 84 mm now and have an 81 and 82 mm as well.

    also, how the heck do you guys keep your skis in the water when launching without having to worry too much about throttle control? my big heavy three seater with my fat butt on it jumps out of the water, the pump unloads, it drops back in the water, pops out again and the pump unloads, then settles in the water.
    i need to adjust the VTS down a little, since i seem to be getting top speed at the middle trim setting. the guy i got the ECU and other parts from said i should take the pump wedge out, since that is likely causing some issues on launch and i don't need it for top speed, since i've got VTS. any thoughts on that?

    thanks for any help and advice. this forum has been great in helping me get up to speed on my ski, since it is my first jet ski with barely 14 hours on it
    Trim all the way down and lean forward. Is possible your trim needs to be adjusted if geting top speed at half way trim.
    When looking at nozzle on trailer, when is at half on gauge where is the nozzle?
    Most of us set it up to be directly center when gauge shows half.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Daytona Beach
    Posts
    406
    the trim definitely needs to be adjusted. it wasn't nearly as bad as it was. it'll move down a little more, and i'll try leaning over the bars.

    i'll leave the ECU out, cause i definitely don't want to risk damage.

  10. #10
    JFizzleJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,627
    +1
    807
    maybe I missed something...are you still running the stock intercooler?

    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    i got my '09 wake pro running great with an X-charger, 42 lb injectors, riva pro series nozzle, and a few other minor things. i just picked up a riva ECU, 50 lb injectors, the older riva X-charger upgrade kit with a wheel and front housing, and a few other non-engine related items. right now with the X-charger my ski is turning 7800 rpm. i will be doing the valve train upgrade this winter, but would it be safe to run the ECU, injectors, and wheel upgrade and pitch the prop to keep it around 8100-8200 rpm? after the valve train upgrade, what should i pitch it to spin? i know i need to tweak my prop as it is if i don't upgrade anything else. but i figured going up to 20% or so more boost might raise it enough to get it up around 8100 rpm without going too much over that. i can also run a smaller exit on the nozzle, since i'm running an 84 mm now and have an 81 and 82 mm as well.

    also, how the heck do you guys keep your skis in the water when launching without having to worry too much about throttle control? my big heavy three seater with my fat butt on it jumps out of the water, the pump unloads, it drops back in the water, pops out again and the pump unloads, then settles in the water. i need to adjust the VTS down a little, since i seem to be getting top speed at the middle trim setting. the guy i got the ECU and other parts from said i should take the pump wedge out, since that is likely causing some issues on launch and i don't need it for top speed, since i've got VTS. any thoughts on that?

    thanks for any help and advice. this forum has been great in helping me get up to speed on my ski, since it is my first jet ski with barely 14 hours on it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. what to do next?
    By sealz in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM
  2. I Have Stage 1 In Rxp Now. What To Do Next?
    By TDSTYG in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
  3. What to do next??
    By GPRGASM in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 11:54 PM
  4. What to do next?
    By dropped in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 01:21 PM
  5. What to do next???
    By SpeedStang95 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •