Thread: js440 problem

js440 problem

I traded an old junk vehicle for 2 1977 js440's on a trailer yesterday, they both ran fine when i was looking at them, i brought the vehicle to the person on a flatbed trailer and put the jetski trailer with the jetski's on in onto the flatbed trailer to transport them home, when putting it on the trailer the 3 of us manhandled it and lifted it onto the trailer, took some effort and there was some shaking and rocking of the trailer/jetskis as we were getting them on the trailer. when i got home one of them turns over real slow and seems to be struggling, i removed the plugs to see if any water got into the cylinders, none was present, tried a fully charged battery and same thing. could it be water in the crankcase? thanks, Russell

I finally got around to tearing into the engine today, no problem with the top end, but the crank will not turn, can someone give me step by step directions or tell me where i can get directions on rebuilding the bottom end of this engine. Thanks Russell

+1
    Russ,
    I have a original owners manual and service manual for the 440's i will send them to you these motors are a piece of cake to redo and could be rebuilt for a very reasonable price

Bob, that would be great, i'm thinking a bearing must have siezed up, are these engines lubed by the fuel/oil mixture? Russ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rca1965 View Post
    Bob, that would be great, i'm thinking a bearing must have siezed up, are these engines lubed by the fuel/oil mixture? Russ
    yep was the oil injection still hooked up ???

Not sure, i have never used either of the 440's yet, just got them at the end of october, but i figured they must be set up for premix cause it has a sticker by the gas cap that says mix gas and oil at 34:1

+1
    sounds like there premix already ,theres tons of stuff on ebay for these motors

+1
    do you have the motor out of the hull?

it is NOT uncommon for the drive shaft, carrier bearings ( through hull) to go bad, and sieze. could also be pump bearings, or stuck prop in the wear ring. ( common on a salt water ski).

the 440's never had oil injection. they are pre mix only.

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    do you have the motor out of the hull?

it is NOT uncommon for the drive shaft, carrier bearings ( through hull) to go bad, and sieze. could also be pump bearings, or stuck prop in the wear ring. ( common on a salt water ski).

the 440's never had oil injection. they are pre mix only.
    John, the engine is still in the hull but if i turn the engine to driveshaft coupler it will turn on the driveshaft side, not much, just the amount of play in the rubber. i have removed the cylinders and the lower end is definently locked up. Russ

Thread Information