98 GTX electrical starting problem

I have a 98 GTX that wont start. I put the DESS key on and get the 2 beeps push start / stop switch and intermittent turning over (similar to what happens with a dead battery or bad starter, both of which are known to be good). I have 12 volts at the yellow and red wire on the start/ stop switch and it doesn't change when pushing the switch. Replaced the MPEM with one off E-bay and it does the same thing. Battery, starter, starter solenoid, and start stop switch are good and engine turns over with no problem if I bypass the solinoide. The DESS post is good also

Quote Originally Posted by tumblingtwerp9 View Post
    I have a 98 GTX that wont start. I put the DESS key on and get the 2 beeps push start / stop switch and intermittent turning over (similar to what happens with a dead battery or bad starter, both of which are known to be good). I have 12 volts at the yellow and red wire on the start/ stop switch and it doesn't change when pushing the switch. Replaced the MPEM with one off E-bay and it does the same thing. Battery, starter, starter solenoid, and start stop switch are good and engine turns over with no problem if I bypass the solinoide. The DESS post is good also

Explain how you are bypassing the solenoid? What kind of voltage do you get at the solenoid when the button is pushed? Seems like you are assuming things are good with out actually testing them at least that is what I'm reading.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    Explain how you are bypassing the solenoid? What kind of voltage do you get at the solenoid when the button is pushed? Seems like you are assuming things are good with out actually testing them at least that is what I'm reading.
    We hooked up a jumper box to the engine side of the solenoid and it turns over fine. We are only getting 8.75 volts through the solenoid and to the solenoid when the start button is pushed.

We hooked up a jumper box to the engine side of the solenoid and it turns over fine. We are only getting 8.75 volts through the solenoid and to the solenoid when the start button is pushed.

Are you saying that your Batt. terminal voltage drops to 8.75 when cranked? That's with out the jump box.

I'm pretty sure we got it fixed. It seems the engine came out of a dual coil ski and ours is a single coil. Swapped the flywheel from the old engine and the ski turns over fine.

I'm pretty sure we got it fixed. It seems the engine came out of a dual coil ski and ours is a single coil. Swapped the flywheel from the old engine and the ski turns over fine.

Yep that will do it due to the difference in the mag cups. When doing complete engine swaps you need to check if the ignition systems were the same and if not start swapping parts to make things match.

We thought it was out of the same model ski. Never even thought to check the flywheel (or atleast my dad didn't, I've been saying stator area the whole time ) So hopefully its fixed now

Thread Information