Bow chicka wow wow
    +1

Survial Rate of Submerged RXP?

Ok here's the facts................

engine sucked in fresh water,engine stopped, ski almost submerged
    submerged 30 min
    Pulled plugs, changed oil, pulled S/C, pulled intake
    Poured gallons of WD 40, marvel mystery oil, fogging oil in cylinders

Ok, firing up this weekend. What is recovery rate? Can I expect same performance?

I know someone here has had a 'like experience' LOL

+1
    If it died because of water ingestion then it most likely hydro locked and has damaged the rods.

Even if it does run its a ticking time bomb as to when the rods will let go and cause massive block damage

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    I take that as a 0% Yes it def sucked in water
    Last edited by Pirates81; 10-27-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: additional

+1
    If it were mine I would pull the engine, plan on a complete rebuild, replace the rods and send the crank off to have it checked for straightness. The wrist pins may also have been dammaged. Simply put, check everything and replace anything that may have suffered dammage.

+1
    Mine has ingested water 3 times. I can't say the same for everyone but mine has been running fine and now I'll be running a turbo at about 20 lbs boost at almost 9k rpm.

Really it all depends how or what you do once your engine has taken in water.

What I do is the following:
    1. Take the ski out the water and drain all of the water...pretty obvious. Don't crank your engine!!! If you know or thing it has ingested water.
    2. Take out your spark plugs and check to see if they are wet. Then hold your throttle wide open and crank for a couple seconds and check if any water or mist is coming out from the spark plug hole. If it is then you have ingested water. Don't panic!! But you need to move fast!
    3. Keep cranking it until there is no more water coming out about 10 seconds at a time with 15 or so second intervals.
    4. Check your oil. See if it is milky, if it is then you will need to change your oil about 4-5 times or whatever you feel comfortable with. Check the DIY and FAQ section for the how to on that.
    5. So at this point your internals are wet and you need to dry them. If possible buy two pairs of spark plugs and on your way home. Once you get home you need to run it for 2-3 minutes. No more because you might mess up your carbon seal. What I do is fill my hull a little up to the seal and run it for 4-5 mins.
    6. After that you need to change your oil, and every oil change let it idle and for about a minute or two on the water. Progressively rev it a little. If you where able to buy the spark plugs put in a set and use it throughout your oil changes. Another helpful thing to do is to clean your oil filter with gasoline(I use the same one until my final oil change).
    7. Once the oil changes are complete and your oil has no more signs of water or milky looking then try to get out and ride it as hard as you safely can!!(Make sure you warm up the engine good before though)

Good luck!!

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    listen to Shark.

no need to worry.

complete rebuild is just a waste of time and money. if it died by water ingestion most likely rods are not bent, you only bend rods when you try to crank the engine, the starter has more torque to bend a rod, most likely the water go into the engine and wetted your spark and caused it to die. Unless water rushed into the engine rapidly. but most likely water entered the engine little by little causing it to die.

no need to worry, change the oil many times, without replacing the oil filter each time, just take it off and dont put it in until you are sure there is no more water in the engine.

+1
    +1 on that

+1
    I have had 2 instances of water ingestion on 2005 RXP.
    First time no damage after multiple oil change thngs ran fine
    Second time I followed the dry out and oil changes as before but on the first ride back the motor let go at 8600 RPMS and caused total destruction. A rod was bent without me realizing it.
    If I ingest water again I will be doing a tear down to inspect things as I am now paranoid of another catastrophic failure

Banned User
    +1
    If you know your compressions for each cylinder, in some cases you can detect a bent rod by reading a low compression in 1 or more cylinders.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Thanks guys, it is worth a try to see if I can salvage without O/H, like what have I got to lose, right? Think I will give it a try this weekend. I'll report back on results.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information