Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Adding external intercooler to GTX - plumbing problems - help!

I've installed an 08 external IC to my 05 GTX 185. I keep getting an overheat warning once on plane and lots of unusal sounds from the exhaust. I suspect the water is exiting the IC too quickly allowing too much water flow to the IC and NOT enough to the exhaust manifold/waterbox causing the overheat warning.

SETUP: drilled out restrictor washer to 21/64" (1/64 larger than 08 5/16" hole). Main 3/4" line to strainer, then T to exhaust manifold and IC. This T is 08 stock with reduced flow to the IC, but still 3/4" hose. IC exit is stock 3/4" line also going to unused 3/4" port on pump. This differs from 08, in that 08 exit goes to another T 3/4" to 1/2" line then out (reduced flow-more back pressure??). Pisser line straight out to another unused port on the pump.

I suspect I need to SLOW down the IC exit flow down to allow more water to the exhaust manifold/waterbox. Does this sound correct or am I full of shit?

Options:
    1. enlarge restrictor washer to 3/4" or so??
    2. add a ball valve to the IC exit to regulate the flow leaving the IC?
    3. others??

How have the Fizzle external setups solved this waterflow issue????

I'm all ears and would like to hear all your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    If you can get some time on the lake to mess around, get some hose clamp pliers and experiment with clamping off the hose...

Pretty sure it would be something to do with the water flow, but a coincidental might be that the flap in the exhaust has lost its weld and is blocking the outlet possibly. I doubt it though. (Going off what you have written)

+1
    fizzle kit installed onto 03 GTX SC.

3/4 in to strainer-- strainer to inter cooler-- intercooler out to stock front of engine. No problems so far. I also have the bleed mod added-- x charger w/ 17 tooth gear, cold air intake, 42 lb. injectors, RXP ecu w/ RXP fuel pressure regulator, 12/20 solas, 160 thermostat . VERY nice bang for the buck .

Banned User
    +1
    Just because the IC is from an X ski does not mean it needs water to be ran that way...Leave the restrictor in, or put an UNDRILLED OEM one back in...the run the line from the strainer to the IC, then from the IC to the exhaust manifold...DONE.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Just because the IC is from an X ski does not mean it needs water to be ran that way...Leave the restrictor in, or put an UNDRILLED OEM one back in...the run the line from the strainer to the IC, then from the IC to the exhaust manifold...DONE.
    That is exactly how I tried this the first time, with Red small oem restrictor, same result with overheat. Then remembered Rxt's With an IC had larger 5/16" hole. So I decided to replicate 08 setup, but obviously my setup is not 100% the 08 setup....

Now that I have the restrictor opened up I'll try your suggestion again vice the 08 setup.
    Thanks

+1
    Used stock X intercooler? from factory theres no strainer on X skis so could be a chance the cooler is pluged, might want to check that waters low right now where i ride so i have to clean it out every 30 min or my exhaust will over heat. I could only imagine how pluged up the cooler would get if i had no strainer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    Used stock X intercooler? from factory theres no strainer on X skis so could be a chance the cooler is pluged, might want to check that waters low right now where i ride so i have to clean it out every 30 min or my exhaust will over heat. I could only imagine how pluged up the cooler would get if i had no strainer.
    Good thought but I check mine frequently also, strainer clean, IC used but basically brand new!

I'll reconfigure back like Danny said, as the Red restrictor was too small for IC setup. Bottom line gotta get more water back into waterbox.

Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    If you follow any water setup from 04-07, you will be fine. Water restrictor should be fine, because the water has no where to go other than through the Jpipe and through the box. Whatever does not go through the box will go out the top of the Jpipe...Just keep a small line on the bleeder line from the top of the IC, nothing bigger than that...

+1
    Check your j pipe pissers and make sure there not stoped up.
    Check water lines between manifold and j pipe are not pinched off.

+1
    +1 on not doing the "T". I just did my '07 RXT. Stock line 3/4 or 5/8 ? to stainer, IC then to manifold. Very happy w/ the results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information