Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Polaris Octane wont rev out

Hi, I have a Polaris Octane that is having an issue.
    It rides fine for approximately 15 minutes (or until it gets to operating temp im guessing) then it shuts off completely. It will start straight back up again once you hit the start button, but from there will only run at half speed as if it is on one cylinder.
    If i let it cool right down, it will come good again until about another 10 - 15 minutes where it all happens again.
    I have checked the compression which is 135psi in both cylinders, i have changed the spark plugs, i have put new fuel in it, i have cleaned the carbs out 2 times, and i have swapped the coil pack out with another one, i have removed the inlet manifold and inspected the reeds and i have checked the charge rate which is all fine.
    But nothing has helped.
    I checked the stator resistances with the factory settings and it was within specs, but that was when the engine was cold in my garage. I have removed the front cover to inspect the stator, and it all looks fine and clean in there.
    I have checked in the electrical box to see if there is any corroded or loose connections but could not find anything...
    Any help would be much appreciated as i am pulling my hair out trying to work this one out!

try checking the gas tank vents sounds like a vapor lock probelm next time it does it unscrew the cap take it off put it back on see if it will run good agin if so its vapor locking and the pump cant suck enough fuel to supply the carbs.

the gas cap unscrew it****

+1
    sounds like your stator is going out

It sounds like more of a cooling issue to me, is the engine hot to the touch when it goes into limp mode? I would look at the water intake, I'm not sure on the octanes but with the polaris modular pumps, there is an intake screen in the pump exit nozzle, and it gets clogged by weeds, sand, etc... also there is a small screen in the waterline for the exhaust pipe itself, make sur the water is circulating through the engine and exhaust, if not , it will result in serious engine damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    sounds like your stator is going out

Yeah , that is probably the culprit!

The vapor lock theory is a good one that i have not tried yet.

How can a stator work sometimes and then sometimes not work? Like i said it tests fine when cold and looks fine. And it doesn't have the smell of a burnt out stator...

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    It sounds like more of a cooling issue to me, is the engine hot to the touch when it goes into limp mode? I would look at the water intake, I'm not sure on the octanes but with the polaris modular pumps, there is an intake screen in the pump exit nozzle, and it gets clogged by weeds, sand, etc... also there is a small screen in the waterline for the exhaust pipe itself, make sur the water is circulating through the engine and exhaust, if not , it will result in serious engine damage.
    No the engine is not hotter than normal. It has a B pipe (as the octanes do) which runs hot, but they are meant to... So that is why im leaning away from a cooling issue.
    Im pretty sure the Octane doesnt have any screens in the water lines at all. Its a direct feed to the exhaust manifold.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JTI View Post
    The vapor lock theory is a good one that i have not tried yet.

How can a stator work sometimes and then sometimes not work? Like i said it tests fine when cold and looks fine. And it doesn't have the smell of a burnt out stator...
    It's a Very common problem for the twins to warm up and lose spark to one cylinder
    Even when the stators test ok and no it will not smell burnt

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    It's a Very common problem for the twins to warm up and lose spark to one cylinder
    Even when the stators test ok and no it will not smell burnt
    Ok thanks, i didnt know that. I was under the impression that the coil pack fired on both cylinders at the same time (2 sparks per revolution). So how can it cut spark to 1 cylinder?
    When it is running crap, i can remove the rear plug lead and it does very little to the revs, so i put it back on and remove the front lead and the engine will stall...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information