Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmets & Visors

Hi All.

Whatís the consensus on helmets with Visors (moto X style)

Are they Dangerous? I imagine smashing into the water at speed with a flat paddle on ya forehead would snap ya neck? I see a lot of guys use them with Visors. Whatís best...Remove them? or just harden up? Seems dangerous to me.

Oh- Short Course is probably different to longer stuff as resistance for long periods would probably give you neck cramp.

Iím thinking short course stuff.

Cheers

+1

Skid Lids Are Always A Good Idea

Light weight motocross style helmuts with visors and chin bars, is what we use for racing, aggressive swamp trail riding, and keep our heads warm in Winter, with balaclavas under. Also, toothbrush cam under kayak helmut in summer, MC helmut chin bar cam in Winter. Click on youtube vids.
    Full helmuts too dang hot in places like Louisiana and Florida, 'cept for quick heat races, speed runs, etc. Bash your noggin just once too hard, and you're done ridin', drivin' walkin'...........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Swamp King View Post
    Light weight motocross style helmuts with visors and chin bars, is what we use for racing, aggressive swamp trail riding, and keep our heads warm in Winter, with balaclavas under. Also, toothbrush cam under kayak helmut in summer, MC helmut chin bar cam in Winter. Click on youtube vids.
    Full helmuts too dang hot in places like Louisiana and Florida, 'cept for quick heat races, speed runs, etc. Bash your noggin just once too hard, and you're done ridin', drivin' walkin'...........
    I saw your toothbrush cam at MB this year...fabulous!!!

I do agree.. A full-size helmet is hot, but worth it if you take a header at 75+.

I ride with a visor, and I do notice a little "lift" at speed, but nothing I get neck cramps from... Also good to keep the sun out. I think if I bit it at speed, the flimsy visor would just snap off and be gone. I dont think it would add to injury.

Pauly C.

+1
    All the racers (us too) wear skid lids with a visor because it improves vision by keeping the sun's glare off the goggles, and with a quick head dip, keeps rain, wave, and splash water minimized too. As we hardly ever dis-mount our three seaters at speed, can't comment on risk of injury to neck, 'cept to say, skull protection should out-weigh potential risk injury caused by chin bar and/or visor catching objects or water. Still way safer than a high speed dis-mount off a motorcycle, where if your helmut hooks on something, your head comes off.

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I'm fishing for opinions about a BMX full face helmet such as this.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

It's light and well ventilated (I live in Florida). I am mainly looking for that security blanket for offshore riding. I'm not racing. Curious as to if there is a real difference between something like this and the Bell MX 1.

I would think speed rating would be a factor in a helmet used for going 20MPH vs. one rated for going 70MPH. It's weird more folks don't wear helmets all the time. I think I'll be getting one this season, safety first now that I have children....I want to be around for a while. Hitting submerged rocks or anything else at 50+MPH will definitely leave a mark. [email protected] happens, you never know where a boat will pop up in front (or into the side) of you.

+1
    No. 1 rule in watercrafting.............
    KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL!
    Assuming you are in complete control of your own machine at all times, you can focus your attention on everybody else. That way, nothing unexpected should "pop up".
    Shit can still happen, so always wear a skid lid.

For you guys that wear helmuts on your ski's, are you talking about when racing and wave jumping etc... I always wear a helmet on my streetbike and quad but I cant see wearing it on my ski unless there was some big wicked surf.

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4life View Post
    For you guys that wear helmuts on your ski's, are you talking about when racing and wave jumping etc... I always wear a helmet on my streetbike and quad but I cant see wearing it on my ski unless there was some big wicked surf.
    Yes. I was looking for something for riding in 6+ seas. Not going 70 in that stuff, but I could still take a whack from the ski itself. I don't want to be that guy that lost some teeth on the bimini run either, so if I do that run next year, I might wear one just in case.

I checked out the helmet I posted in my link.... I bought a real brain bucket instead.

We ride in the surf off the North coast of Cornwall in the UK, out in the atlantic. As a club, we've made it compulsory for anyone to wear a helmet if they're going wave jumping.
    Personally, I use a Gecko hemet & visor. They're lightweight with an inflatable liner so it fits your head properly. Not too hot either!
    I took a face dive off a wave last year when I parted company with my ski. I was doing maybe 55 and took a diagonal wave & landed badly. The ski twisted & I took flying lessons.
    I don't think I would have wanted to do that without a visor, as it's like getting hit in the face with a length of 2x4.
    The visor did not shatter, crack or anything. It saved my face! Go online to Gecko Headgear | World Leading Manufacturers of Marine Safety Helmets, they're awesome (& NO I don't work for them, I just like their gear)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information