Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Running E85

Running E85

Is anyone running E85?

I guess not many people are running it, if I were to change fuel lines, fuel pump, etc to be able to run it.... Can it be done? Any idea what performance advantages there will be to gain?

+1
    The advantage is you can run much higher boost.

The disadvantge is you need a lot more fuel so gas mileage decreases.

It can be a much cheaper solution than using race gas and it is more readily available than race gas.

Banned User
    +1
    I have personally seen an FZR running on E85. You will probably need to run bigger injectors, and specify E85 on your R&D re-flash. Been doing 80+ on the stuff. Also in the works, or already available, is something for those that run 15% Ethanol, like what they sell in California.

R&D has been doing a ton of research on these two fuels in regards to their re-flashes, and I think they have it figured out.

As far as performance advantage/disadvantage, fuel lines, tank, pumps etc....I haven't a clue.

It does smell good though

On a stock boat, with no re-flash; I dunno?? If memory serves me(which usually it doesn't), you need to push around 20% more fuel volume, or something like that. You will of course burn more fuel. As far as added performance, ?????
    I've heard that on some lakes, that's all you can get anymore. E85, or the 15% ethanol blend. Both are completely different animals.

E85=87% Ethanol, and 13% Gasoline. The "California Blend) is more like 15% Ethanol, and the rest gasoline.
    Hope that helps.

Give or take if 20% of fuel needs to be added... Can't I adjust that with a rrfpr? That way I can run E93 most of the time and the E85 on special occations? And if that is possible, will that mean I won't have to mess with the current R3?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaSHO View Post
    Give or take if 20% of fuel needs to be added... Can't I adjust that with a rrfpr? That way I can run E93 most of the time and the E85 on special occations? And if that is possible, will that mean I won't have to mess with the current R3?
    I don't know, and that's really good question. Best to call R&D and find out, as I haven't a clue.
    I thought it was a novel idea...running E85. But I have no idea what it takes to make it work.

+1
    using E85 by itself provides no performance gain, if anything you would probably be slower

but using E85 allows you to run higher boost than pump gas willl (without having to source and pay for race gas)

with 93 octane the most boost you can safely run is probably something like 18 lbs

I am not sure what the max boost you can run with E85 is, but it would be significantly higher - I am guessing here but it could be 25 lbs or higher

So in order to do this you would need an aftermarket ignition and larger injectors - I just don't think a reflash would give you enough control over the fuel mapping to get things tuned properly. The stock injectors wouldn't provide enough fuel. You would also want / need a big IC.

Banned User
    +1
    I've seen it run with bigger injectors, and a re-flash, and it hauls ass.

I was thinking more along the lines of using E85's ability to better cool engine and use a 25hp shot.... That's why I said on special occations.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    using E85 by itself provides no performance gain, if anything you would probably be slower

but using E85 allows you to run higher boost than pump gas willl (without having to source and pay for race gas)

with 93 octane the most boost you can safely run is probably something like 18 lbs

I am not sure what the max boost you can run with E85 is, but it would be significantly higher - I am guessing here but it could be 25 lbs or higher

So in order to do this you would need an aftermarket ignition and larger injectors - I just don't think a reflash would give you enough control over the fuel mapping to get things tuned properly. The stock injectors wouldn't provide enough fuel. You would also want / need a big IC.
    It would be a custom reflash, not just an R1, R2, or R3.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information