Look at these upper 951 cases...

I am rebuilding my 951 and I plan on using the upper case with the damaged reed valve area but I also have another case half available. The alternative is not pretty, it's pitted. I am just wondering what some of you guys think...

Thanks in advance for your reply

Here's the pics:

+1
    Its been posted that you can't interchange case halves, they are matched in the factory. There have been a few postings on that issue. If you have to change the 1/2 case you may be better off by finding another block. Perhaps with some work you can match the cases, I don't know

Factory matched cases...

I've read that the case halves can't be interchanged as well, however when I put the "mismatched" cases together I can't even feel the edge between the two. From what I can tell it should work just fine as long as they seal up good. I can't believe that no ones tried it before, is it just against conventinal wisdom or has someone not been able to get a good seal or worse yet had a failure caused by this?

Speaking of trial and error, has anyone reassembled their matched cases having damage similar to the damage I've got around the reed valve inlet area?

+1

I took a die grinder to my gsx 951

I just match both sides so they look the same. The ski has been running great. 50 hours or so . My dint look as bad as yours. Good luck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroSeadoo View Post
    I've read that the case halves can't be interchanged as well, however when I put the "mismatched" cases together I can't even feel the edge between the two. From what I can tell it should work just fine as long as they seal up good. I can't believe that no ones tried it before, is it just against conventinal wisdom or has someone not been able to get a good seal or worse yet had a failure caused by this?

Speaking of trial and error, has anyone reassembled their matched cases having damage similar to the damage I've got around the reed valve inlet area?

+1
    These cases are lined bored perpendicular to the case mating surfaces so the crank runs square to the bores.(north/south) When you interchange them you run the risk of distorting the bearing surface which in turn will prematurely wear the crank bearings and destroy cases again.So important these are paired up for life.

+1

You are talking about the upper and lower cases

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    These cases are lined bored perpendicular to the case mating surfaces so the crank runs square to the bores.(north/south) When you interchange them you run the risk of distorting the bearing surface which in turn will prematurely wear the crank bearings and destroy cases again.So important these are paired up for life.

Thread Information