Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Kia Ora from New Zealand!!!! and enjoy the problems im facing!!

Hey Guys,

Im New to this forum stuff, and only found it by chance using google!.

I APOLOGISE FOR MY USE TO KIWI SLANG - ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK!!

Im a 22Yo Qualified Electrician from Auckland,from New Zealand (Middle Earth) and have just aquired my first jetski
    1999 Polaris X45 1200 135HP.

Along with it i had some problems,

The battery was rooted so i had to get a new ones, Took it out for its first go and it wouldnt work, keep bogging and stalling despite running mint on the dry.

I changeD the spark plugs, siphoned the fuel (there were bits of a clear gel like substance in the tank) and cleaned the carbs and jets.

It sounded alot better so took it out again, this time it ran awesome, i manged to have two people on it, while towing a donut and even had it waterskiing!

MY problem now is that when i open up the throttle it starts to missfire a little bit, and this morning when i took it out it would reach 4240RPM and 32mp/h, i knows its capable of more than this!

I did a compression test on the cylinders and they were 140 p.s.i, 135 p.s.i and 120 p.si

Its a 2-stroke fuel mix and have been advised that the correct ratio is 50:1, which is what i have been doing, now ive read and been told 40:1 is good but its not set in stone, from your experience whats the best ratio for me to do ??

Anotherpolaris, problem i found today when i was running water through it on land is that the first carb is spitting out petrol from the side through a pre-cast hole, yet the other carbs arent doing it, ive pulled it off and am going to look at it later,

Any info on ANY of my problems would be highly Aprreciated!!!

oh yeah also to top it all off

THERE ARE NO POLARIS DEALERS IN NEW ZEALAND ANYMORE!!!- And the stupid seadoo and kawasaki people dont want to touch it

Cheers,
    Theo

+1
    Sounds like your needle n seat is sticking in the carb.

Well, lets see what ya got here

All OLD skis..(yours is almost 12 now). needs maintaining.

All sorts of stuff can go wrong. Corrosion, Loose parts,Missing parts, Incorrect parts,Dirty,Bent,Gelled,stuck,sticking,you get the idea...

Everything should be gone thru on the ski besides your current issue.

Some items would be: Rebuilding the carbs. The diaphrams can get pin holes in them that you cant readily see.

Next is fuel lines, Tempo grey lines were used on some pwcs and caused problems with devoloping goo inside them, guess it was fuel related.. change all the lines.

Next is fuel filters. replace them. remember direction of flow arrows when taken out!

Next is the water fuel seperator.. empty and clean screen and refill with premix at 40/1 3.2oz's per gallon non ethanol gas 87 octane.

Do another compression test 3 times on each, 5 bursts on each cylinder with the throttle wide open. Use a strong charged battery for testing.

Use correct NGK plug heat range and gap per specs

Check jet sizes of mains and pilot jets..just good to know what your running. they can be checked while rebuilding the carbs..

Use new intake to carb gaskets.

Possibly rebuilding the fuel pumps too if they are on the carbs rack.

A new AGM (absorbed glass mat ) battery is reccomended because its sealed. no venting of Hydrogen gas in the hull.

Check impellor clearence with feeler gauge.

Check condition of the stator blades behind the impellor for condition

See if the prop edges are worn,chipped or knurled over.

Clean the gas tank and pick up.

Grease the coupler bearing, along with throttle cable.

Yep, from now on, YOUR the mechanic on your ski there..So read the forums' links,posts,stories n such to learn about the polaris brand and how things work.

Just ask if you need any help with anything. The guys on here are the Best in the world on Polaris skis..

These are general guidelines for a new buyer of a ski. hope it helps or gives ya an idea what to check.

Which cylinder is 120?

Check the head bolts and base nuts for being tight.

Check for spark on all 3 cylinders.. ground the plugs and check for a bright blue spark.. also possible a wire came off 1 of the coils and now your running on 2 cylinders going 4200.. could be in the ebox or the coil connection wire.

Report back!

KIA ORA KOE to you too! Cheers!

Hey bro,

You want to ring jase on 021897340 he is the best around hell look after you!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Sounds like your needle n seat is sticking in the carb.

Next is fuel filters. replace them. remember direction of flow arrows when taken out!

Next is the water fuel seperator.. empty and clean screen and refill with premix at 40/1 3.2oz's per gallon non ethanol gas 87 octane.

Possibly rebuilding the fuel pumps too if they are on the carbs rack.

Which cylinder is 120?

Check for spark on all 3 cylinders.. ground the plugs and check for a bright blue spark.. also possible a wire came off 1 of the coils and now your running on 2 cylinders going 4200.. could be in the ebox or the coil connection wire.

Okay, its the middle cylinder that is running at 120ish, my spark plug lead that plugs into the first carb (closet to the steering wheel) came out of the nipple thing, i put it back in but i dont know if its on properly - it wont go in anymore and seems ok??

Whats this needle and seat thing?? sticking to the carb??

does my ski have a water/fuel serperator?? where would it be ??

+1
    Hmmm Plug wire came out huh?

That could cause your lack of power also.. Pull the wire out of the boot, then snip it a 1/4 inch and screw the boot back onto it. about 3 or 5 turns should seat it good again. Good idea to do the others. but not yet,, lets isolate the problem first, then go back and do those plug boot too.

You should have a water seperator in the fuel system. i guess its possible someone took it out but why? theres no good reason too.. just follow your fuel lines from the selector switch(res/off/main) if so equipped and follow the fuel lines back to the tank, there should be a plastic see-thru container that has a black cap that unscrews from it with a screen inside it..

the needle and seat are located on the back of the carbs under a metal plate and diaphram(round rubber piece) I took a pic of my 44's to show you where the needle and seat are located along with the main and pilot jets.. Things may be different on your carbs. I cant see them..

Do you have any pics of them? I believe that x-45's have bing carbs which I dont have any experience with.. although they pretty much work the same.

first pic is where the pilot jet goes, the next 2 show where the main jets would go and the last is the needle n seat. theres a small metal piece with a gasket that goes over the jets with 2 screws. that has to come off first to get at the jets..

Hope this helps.. Maybe 1 of the other members can direct you a little better on your carbs..

That may have contributed to the problem but your still leaking fuel in the carb you said before..

If you take the carbs off, put the rubber diaphrams up to the light and see if you can see pinholes in them. if you see holes, they need to be replaced, not to mention old age too..

The needle and seat moves up n down to let gas thru the carbs, if it sticks open, you'll flood the carb all the time.. there could be just some debris caught up in it right there..

hey, in the last pic here, i found a pic of the water fuel seperator. its on the left in the picture near the back of the ski inside the compartment.. yours may not be right there like in the picture, but you can see what it look like at least..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2175.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	219544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2176.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	219545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2173.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	219546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture%20015.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	219547  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Taites View Post
    ...siphoned the fuel (there were bits of a clear gel like substance in the tank) and cleaned the carbs and jets.

...took it out again, this time it ran awesome, i manged to have two people on it, while towing a donut and even had it waterskiing!

...when i open up the throttle it starts to misfire a little bit, and this morning when i took it out it would reach 4240RPM...

I did a compression test on the cylinders and they were 140 p.s.i, 135 p.s.i and 120 p.si

...when i was running water through it on land is that the first carb is spitting out petrol from the side through a pre-cast hole, yet the other carbs aren't doing it, I've pulled it off and am going to look at it later...
    Theo,

You MUST rebuild those carburetors with new parts and gaskets.

Fuel spraying into the hull is not only very dangerous (fire/explosion hazard), but it also means the carb is not working properly which can damage the engine.

The original fuel lines need replacing, if they are still in there. Gel in the fuel tank means gel could be elsewhere in the fuel system. You must ensure that the entire fuel system is pristine.

These 2-stroke engines do not tolerate problems anywhere in the fuel system. Inadequate fuel deliver through the carbs can cause 'lean burn' which can destroy pistons in short order (sometimes in mere minutes).

Do not ride it until you are 100% sure the fuel system is working properly.

Cylinder names;
    MAG = Front cylinder (Magneto)
    CEN = Centre
    PTO = Rearmost cylinder (Power Take Off)

Compression testing. Always have all spark plugs out, throttle held wide open.

Never assume you only have one problem. Often there are several things needing attention. Sometimes one problem masks another, so when you fix one thing, the engine still doesn't run properly until you find and fix the other things.

Monitor RPM, not the speed display. Your engine should be turning around 6500 RPM at full throttle in the water, give or take, Anything below 6000 indicates a potential problem.

You can water test on the trailer. Just strap it down well, back it down the ramp until the jet pump intake is submerged. Then you can run it with the seat off, and even apply throttle, without it going anywhere.

The X45 has BING throttle bodies

I dont know anything about them, contact Bart at EBL watercraft in Stuart FL, as I saw a pile of Bing carbs there..

+1
    Theo, did you mean gasoline is OUTSIDE the carb squirting fuel from a unknown fitting or leaking thru a pre-cast hole into the hull? thats dangerous. dont run it if thats the case.

Or is the hole inside the carb body dribbling fuel down the throat of the carb?? Just wanted to verify exactly whats leaking where. I thought you meant its dribbling inside the carb body.. Keith seems to think its outside of the carb out a hole somewhere leaking into the hull.

either way its bad. dont run it yet. Lets stop the gas from spewing from wherever its coming from first.

Angry No0o0o0oo0o0

Okay,

I have no fuel water separator or fuel isolator switch.

I removed the carbs etc, and found my first problem -

The Needle and seat were not in line - AT ALL, so i fixed that and inspected the ne4edle,it looked prtty good, the jets were all clean so put back together.(see photos)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02740.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	219621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02742.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	219625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02741.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	219624

Now, this didnt fix my fuel leaking problem but has probebly sorted out the RPm/Speed one!

My fuel leak thng is from the bing carb, ill attach photos and try and describe whats happened,

The arrows are pointing to the source which is spurting out the fuel,

When the engine trys to turn over it spurts it out form this hole, any suggestions for how to fix this??

As i said before, parts are very scarcely available here in NZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02747.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	219622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02738.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	219623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02737.jpg 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	219626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02735.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	219627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02734.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	219628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02746.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	219629  

Name:	DSC02729.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	219630  

Just realised i cant upload more than 10 in a post!,

Name:	carb4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	219633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb7.jpg 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	219632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb5.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	219631

Name:	carb6.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	219634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	219635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	219636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb3.jpg 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	219637

So yeah any help would be much appreciated

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information