Who owns an is model machine with suspension problem

I really like my 2009 rxt-is but i am having a lot of issues with the machine rubbing at the suspension. If u own a rxt-is or any is suspension model and have the same problem then reply because BRP don't seem to do anything about it. I want to file a law suit against them. My laywer will do it if everyone is having problems with the machine rubbing the hull and if there is no fix to it we can probably get a new machine or get our $$$ back. Anyone have this suspension issue rubbing the hull? Also my rear suspension broke too. I don't think this model suspension can handle waves on a long term period because the suspension is so weak. They tend to break.

Banned User
    +1
    I've made a modification plate for the rear suspension bracket which pretty much eliminates the possibility of a break, and the front shock system has also been replaced.
    These are available through the greenhulk store... (Apart from the Mod plate)

The rubbing you are expeirencing is an alignment issue... This can be adjusted at the rear C shaped aluminum bracket and also at the 6 anchor points at the rear of the top deck.

If it still rubs after those adjustments, then I'd say you might have a case.

But you got to remember, the side 'scrapers' are there to stop your toes getting caught inbetween the 2 decks.

I've removed my scrapers.

Mainly because I remove the top deck every couple of weeks...

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I am rubbing a little, but only when it's down low or in dock mode. Just the left side. No problems up high since I normally manually top it out anyways.

I also rub on the left side also. Well i took it to the dealer and they said there is no fix to it at the moment. They said to align the suspension it takes long time like 6 hours.

Hi Lolzer

Just bought a new RXT-IS on Wednesday and on the 4th hr the suspension broke where the back swing arm connects to the top deck.

I'm going to take it back to the dealer but am not overly confident in its ability to stand up to any kind of rough water. After just 2 hours of rough water riding (my first time on a PWC so I can't have been going that hard - only fell off once) the suspension was travelling limit to limit with not much shock absorption. I think the shock might have blown already??

First 2 hours were quite hard riding, second 2 hours were pretty sedate. I definitely bought the ski to be ridden hard and travel out to the islands (25km away) in consistently rough water. I'm up in Mackay QLD just south of the Whitsunday Islands. Trade winds up here mean it is often rough.

I'm a bit concerned that the ski I have is not made for what I would like to use it for. I did read somewhere that you have done some work on modifying the suspension. Where can I buy the parts? Should I do it now or will it void the warranty? Who would fit it all for me (wouldn't exactly call myself a mechanical genius!).

Hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction if you don't mind.

Turbo Doo's from Down Under one1one's Avatar
    I can only speak from real work experience (not internet rumors) but I am the service manage for one of the largest SEA-DOO dealers outside of North America with a customer base who ride predominately in surf & ocean conditions.

Ever herd of "Surfers Paradise"? That is where we are.

We have sold close to 200 iS models and I have replaced exactly 1 shock, it was being used in an ocean race (youtube vid below to show how rough) and it had an oil seal failure. BRP warranted the shock no questions asked & even knew it happened in a race.

We did have a pre-production display GTX Limited iS that has a crack in the rear swingarm cover. But as I mentioned that was a pre-production unit & the part was different to the production machines.

As mentioned in the post earlier the rubber "scrapers" on the side edge of the floating deck are there for safety so toes, fingers, etc don't get caught between the fixed & moving deck.

If they are rubbing on the fixed deck part of the hull then use a very sharp knife (like a hobby knife) and trim a lottle bit off with the iS adjustment all the way up. your dealer should be able to do this easily.

Thanks for your input one1one.

You have restored some of my confidence in my new ski.

The rubbing of the scrapers is of no concern to me - who cares.

I was however bitterly disappointed when the top deck let go of the bottom deck and smashed into the bottom deck - breaking the cowling at the front from the impact. I limped home with pieces of my ski literally falling off behind me. The rear swing arm ripped itself out of the top deck, taking a chunk off with it. I apologise for not taking photos before dropping it back with the dealer.

You may be wondering what I weigh at this point!! 85kg for the record!

I'm sure the dealer will fix it - just disappointing. Wouldn't mind a new ski instead of one that is 2 days old and suffered a catastrophic faliure. Hull and engine are awesome. Just lost faith in the suspension at this point.

I'm not into internet rumours either. My experience of this particular IS model is just a bit different you yours but I am willing to trust you. Thank you for giving me some confidence again. Will let you know how I go when I get it back.

Banned User
    +1
    Hey mate,

I modify the rear pivot arm mounting to make it ~300% stronger on some anchors and at least 200% on other points.

PM me if you want one.

Theres only 3 or so weak points in the whole suspension system.
    2 of them have been solved in the new aS models.

This ski has done 4 hours

Note about the dealer - They have been excellent so far and are doing everything they can to rectify it. No problems AT ALL with the dealer. Just interested in trying to find a way to beef up the suspension setup. The rest of the ski is awesome.

And yes, a picture speaks a thousand words.

Hi Lolzer. Just wanted to let you know how your suspension upgrade kit is going. I have been doing some serious ocean trekking in predominately 15 - 25 knot winds and am yet to have a problem. I'm pleased I went for the CP2 Package because it seems to be working out perfect. I installed your kit at less than 10hrs and today ticked over the 76th hour on a 230km offshore trip. Still no dramas. I ride with other guys with 255 and 260hp RXP-X's and we all go as hard as we can every time. You kit is getting THRASHED within an inch of its life and it is holding up so GOOD JOB!!

The weather here in Mackay is often windy because we live up in the trade winds. Every time I go out there is some breeze. Today was 15 - 20 on the run from Mackay to Hamilton Island and the last leg on the way home was 90km punching straight into 20knots. The other guys with me have no chance of being able to keep up in those sort of conditions. They are all regretting not having suspension!!

I'm really enjoying getting offshore. One of the best trips was out to the Barrier Reef from the Whitsunday Islands. I'll copy the downloaded GPS track below. This kit is amazing and I am really putting it through its paces. I'll post other trips from time to time and keep you updated. Thanks again. Money well spent.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10265688/Sea...27s%20Reef.jpg

Thread Information