Question MSX 150 6000rpm max with check engine light

Hi guys,

Just wondered if I can get some advice before I go too far into pulling this ski apart. Ran fine last summer, tucked her away for the winter (ran it on the hose a couple of times during winter to check all was ok with no issues) then took it out this weekend to the lake and the dreaded check engine light was flashing with rpms being restricted to 6000.

I have done a bit of searching and decided to start with the two map sensors, the one at the top was dry and looked fine, the lower one on the front of the motor had a very fine film and was oily/milky. The intake system is fairly dry but not perfect (it does have a little bit of moisture etc in it) Its never been overfilled/rolled while ive had it but you cant always speak for the previous owner!

I dont have a meter to test the sensors but I will be able to do so over the next couple of days. Is it worth just replacing both of them or should I just replace the one that seems dirty? Is it a big job to clean the intake system and would it be worthwhile to do while im there?

Thanks
    Hinchi

+1
    Hi Hinchi,

I doubt it would be the sensors if it was all OK when you put it away. Have you the upgraded boost control solenoid? I have seen one of the old style fail over winter and produce the same fault/ result.

Hi Kosh,

I think it does have the updated one. It is a grey plastic thing with a hose running to the wastegate controller thing? Hopefully I can borrow a multimeter to test the map sensors tomorrow night so will see how that goes.

Thanks

So a bit of an update, Ive tested both the map sensors and one of them was way out of spec on the airflow measure (it was the upper sensor which I think is the one that does the airflow measuring?) sooo im going to swap the upper and lower sensors over and see if it cures the problem as the lower sensor tested spot on.

Will report back if I can get out to the lake tomorrow!

Seems like im talking to myself in here but thats ok. Just to put a finish to this thread it was one of the map sensors that was faulty (the one that reads the air temp) Swapping them over upper to lower has cured my msx's check engine light and she was all good today on the lake. It will be interesting to see how much longer the faulty one lasts before it is completely stuffed.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so much on these forums, without lots of searching I wouldnt have gotten the answers I needed. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinchi View Post
    ...it was one of the map sensors that was faulty (the one that reads the air temp) Swapping them over upper to lower has cured my msx's check engine light and she was all good today on the lake.

It will be interesting to see how much longer the faulty one lasts before it is completely stuffed.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so much on these forums, without lots of searching I wouldn't have gotten the answers I needed. Thanks!

Order the replacement(s) ahead of time, so you have the parts on hand when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinchi View Post
    So a bit of an update, Ive tested both the map sensors and one of them was way out of spec on the airflow measure (it was the upper sensor which I think is the one that does the airflow measuring?) sooo im going to swap the upper and lower sensors over and see if it cures the problem as the lower sensor tested spot on.

Will report back if I can get out to the lake tomorrow!

so how did you find these tests for the sensors? ive got one here doing the same thing, except for when i disconnect the wastegate hose haha. ive looked through the manual and cant find any tests for them, just to hook it up to the computer and the closest computer to us is on the south island of new zealand haha, im on the north island. if you could remember the test could you please let me know. thanks heaps!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skia01 View Post
    so how did you find these tests for the sensors? ive got one here doing the same thing, except for when i disconnect the wastegate hose haha.

I've looked through the manual and cant find any tests for them, just to hook it up to the computer and the closest computer to us is on the south island of New Zealand ....I'm on the north island.

if you could remember the test could you please let me know. thanks heaps!!
    Welcome to the Hulk

Hi skia01,

apologies I havent been on here for a little bit. I had a mate test the sensors last year with a multimeter when the check engine light first came on. I have a sensor spec sheet here that im pretty sure I got off this site (maybe a search will reveal it?) When I tested the two sensors last year they gave different readings, so I guessed that one was bad and switching them over at the time cured the check engine light.

I should have listened to k447 though and got replacements ahead of time as low and behold the "good" sensor died about a month ago leaving me without the ski for a few weeks. (When both sensors were put on the multimeter this time they both read the same so again I guessed that they had both gone bad)

Just be aware that they arent cheap sensors, I ordered 2 replacements from polaris au at a cost of $300au. Ive put one new sensor in and left one old one but havent had a chance to get to the lake to test. Will see how it goes and if i need to put the other new one in I will.

Hope this helps a little, maybe pm me with your email address if you cant get hold of the sensor spec sheets and I can send it?

Thread Information