Cool Beef up the 1100?

Well first of all I love me some Greenhaulk. Ive learned alot and even fixed some problems with out even asking.

This time I am just lookng for some advice. I have a 96 WaveVenture 1100.As far as I know it is completely stock. I run 87 octane and syntheic oil in the oil injection. On a good day I can get it to run around 43-45. I've read some stuff saying they should be running around 50-55. It also has a slight bog at first when I nail it. Nothing major, but just enough to notice a difference when it catches up. Well since im not 100% percent sure thats why im asking.

Also since we are entering the winter season I am wanting to put a little money into the ski and be ready for some real fun next year. What are some suggestions of things to do? I dont wanna dump a bunch of money into it or nothing like that or try to make it a water rocket, but just spruce it up a little for added fun. Thanks in advance for anyone/everyones help.

best bet... read thru the stickys here in old school the raider build's by bigraider (MP's ski) and the GP build by KRIS both have alot of great info that will a pertain to your hull and engine.

If you aren't sure if it is stock, I'm assuming you don't know what the status of the carbs is? 95% of the problems with these are carb related. Have them rebuilt for peace of mind, and if there is still a problem, then other options can be explored.

Thanks W/RPM500 I will have to look into there threads and see what I can find.

BAV803 : I am looking to get a good set of 48s sometime in the near future so I am hoping that will help a little. Im pretty sure the motor is stock and I have a receipt from the previous owner when the carbs were rebuilt in 04/09 but im not sure of there condition now. It runs real good so I wouldnt think they are too bad but I may be wrong.

think about a 0/E cylinder head mill ( or aftermarket), a set of reeds and a good porting job before investing into larger carbs... do your build in steps.. adding carbs that flow better is a step only after you have the ability to use what they produce, other wise you compound your issues... read PISTONWASHES GP bible if you want to see a progression of what to do to a 1100-1200...
    ALSO... read the groupk web site on their performance upgrade recomendations..

A yearly carb rebuild acceptable ,but here in florida, we almost never lay them up months on end so if you use good fuels and ride frquently a build is usually set at a few seasons interval as long as you know what your starting with ...

Well my only thing is I was wasnt really wanting to get too deep into the motor. Its a newer motor and I didnt want to take the chance of messing anything up with it.

My ideas for just basic stuff included the 48s(tuned), oil block off, prop, intake grate, and possibly ride plate.

Like I had said before im really not looking for a water rocket, just a little more for next year.

But I really do appreciate the info. I def love learning new stuff so I will have to do some reading on those articles you mentioned.

+1
    The 1100.... It has 38 mukuni carbs...not 48's =0)

1. Mill the head for 150 psi which can allow pump gas 92+ octane safely.
    2. Ignition system on the 1100 stinks...the 1200 is better because of different timing curves etc for each cylinder where the 1100 system is the same.
    3. Porting - The 1100 don't gain much and must recommend you swap to the larger 84mm 1200 jugs.
    4. Upgrading carbs will gain you a little...but don't expect OMG gains..
    5. Solas 13/19 prop is good for that set up.
    6. Stock ride plate cut even with the hull if your riding in glass water or use a pro-tec shortie ride plate
    7. Cut center bars out of the stock intake grate.
    8. Remove stock airbox and run aftermarket F/A
    9. You can "T" the line heading to the stinger to dry it out a little for more bottom end power.
    10. Aftermarket reeds will gain you a little....
    11. Run nothing larger then 44's if your running a stock ported 1100.

The biggest thing most folks do is dump the larger 1200 cylinders to gain torque and power. The 1100 is 110hp vs the 1200's 135hp. The gains come from larger pistons, bigger carbs and better ignition.

M

Thanks Mpeavler...

Thats alot of great information that I will def take into consideration and I was told to ask you about my ski cause you know alot about them. I am wanting to just do a couple basic upgrades nothing major. If for some reason I blow this motor up then I will consider swapping to a 1200 but as of right now im just gonna hang onto the 1100. The motor only has around 30 hours on it so I dont really see a reason to swap it for now, other than for the power.

In regaurds to the carb issue that was my fault I had the numbers backwards. It has 38s and I was thinking of adding 44s and also the things I had mentioned before in my previous post.

Now you said that the ignition system is crap on the 1100s... Is there anything that I can do to upgrade it without a motor swap? Also what prop pitch would you recommened for what I have now? Also can you give me a little more info on what you mentioned on numkber 9?

Again thanks to everyone for all the help!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterski2010 View Post
    Thanks Mpeavler...

Thats alot of great information that I will def take into consideration and I was told to ask you about my ski cause you know alot about them. I am wanting to just do a couple basic upgrades nothing major. If for some reason I blow this motor up then I will consider swapping to a 1200 but as of right now im just gonna hang onto the 1100. The motor only has around 30 hours on it so I dont really see a reason to swap it for now, other than for the power.

In regaurds to the carb issue that was my fault I had the numbers backwards. It has 38s and I was thinking of adding 44s and also the things I had mentioned before in my previous post.

Now you said that the ignition system is crap on the 1100s... Is there anything that I can do to upgrade it without a motor swap? Also what prop pitch would you recommened for what I have now? Also can you give me a little more info on what you mentioned on numkber 9?

Again thanks to everyone for all the help!!!

It's not "crap" but it limits what you can do due to the non staggered timing it has vs the 1200's set up. If you build the engine, it's worth the upgrade IMO. You can take the flywheel and Exbox etc and it's a directly swap ...no big deal other then making a mounting point on the bulkhead of the ski for the ebox.

(9)- You can run a "T" where the water comes from the head to the stinger part of the pipe and dry it out with the dump overboard. This will help get more bottom end power...but will hurt top end power just slightly...

Ok I see... so if I wanted all I need is the exbox and the flywheel for the 1200 ignition or would it not be worth it with out the extra ci?

Also, do you have a diagram or something of what your talking about on number 9. I am interested in doing it im still just learning all the techanical terms and all.

Thread Information