Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ffuuuu Dead FX HO cruiser...help guys...

Very sad day today for me fellas...i went riding with a group today and i started my 2004 fx cruiser just normally......well after like 10-15mins the ski felt very heavy and the nose was very high. shortly after it was struggling to get on a plane and very short on power. right after that it shut off and tipping very easily (extremely unlikely for this 3 seater). Just as i suspected the whole engine bay was full of water. the water was covering the waterbox so it was pretty high. i jost rode thsi ski last week and it ran like a champ and it wasn't taking any water at all. now at the flush hose connection i have a walmart valve (instead of OE) flush kit. i left that little valve on the open position!!!! I Guess my question is if this valve was left open would it shoot water into the ski once its on the ocean or lake???? on the flush hose the factory kit has a cap but i don't have that on mine, its just a on off valve, like a garden hose valve on-off. Anyways long story short i flipped the ski once i got to the beach and got the water out. Now i have one more issue besides the hose being open, now the midshaft or something that rotates at the bottom of the ski made contact with the starter cable (+) and it chewed it off completely. it snapped in half how did that happen??? well i'll let you guys know as i proceed with the repairs. if you have tips or ideas on why the ski took on water besides the obvious and the cable snapping??? thanks a lot...

Leaving the cap off the flush connector could definitely be the source of the water in the engine compartment. I suspect the flow was too fast for the bilge pump, which may have cleared the water otherwise. Other common cause for flooding would be a cooling hose coming loose. I know that the 06-08 model FX HOs have this problem, and Yamaha will actually replace the hoses and clamps on those models.

I don't know how you could have chewed up the cable. Check to be sure the rubber motor mounts are not cracked. The rubber mounts on that model are known to crack. I'm guessing you could have caused the motor to shift and crack the mounts when you turned it over pulling it out of line enough to chew the cable............but that is a wild guess.

+1
    i dont know if it is the same flush port as my 09 sho, but i have left the cap off by accident a couple of times and have never had any water in my hull after a ride

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniChunks View Post
    i dont know if it is the same flush port as my 09 sho, but i have left the cap off by accident a couple of times and have never had any water in my hull after a ride
    the stock hose has a valve that stops flow once the flush connector is removed , the cap is just to keep it clean
    it will not hold back the water if the valve fails

so to answer the original question yes if you leave the tap open it will fill the hull with water
    it also will not be cooling the motor properly as all the water going into the hull should of been going through the motor
    as far as the snaped starter wire goes i tend to agree with above that the motor may be loose due to broken mounts

kev

Wow yea i didnt check if the engine moved and a mount is cracked or not. It could be that for sure as far as the source of water intake it must have definitely been that hose because las weekend i rode it and it was perfect not a single drop. Problem now is the motor is full of salt water (not the pistons i hope) since it doesnt start i couldnt flush it. Im so pissed off... Lucky for me i was with another 4 skis so they towed me... Anymore ideas??? Ill go and diagnose it today and see if i can make progress... Thanks fellas

+1
    you need to start it asap
    i would pull the plugs first and make sure there is no water in there
    also spray a bit of lube in there

What i suspect is that as the hull got fuller the surface area inside the hull got smaller reducing the amount of available air for the motor to breath. The ski definitely felt like jt was being chocked to death... And i turned it off....

+1
    i have had water in the hull before in my 04 fxho it was coming in through bungs
    every time i went to take off the ski had full power but would cavitate bad due to the extra weight
    once i got going the water would empty and the ski felt normal again
    the only time i have had the ski feel like no power was when i had fuel leak into the hull swapping all the good oxygen with fuel fumes

kev

Ok guys weather was very crappy yesterday in the MIA so no progress on the ski. As far as today ill definitely get to it since it seems like its much better outside today. I'll get to it today...

Ok guys i have succesfully disassembled the ski and i found the culprit. The positive cable from the electrical box to the starter is chewed up and cut in half, i also found a blown fuse which was replaced already. Now the problem is that this starter cable runs under the motor and i try to follow it but its too deep in there. What do i do to get to it and replace it? I really dont want to take out the pump and lift the motor up but are the other options??? I need some advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information