Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Crankcase ventilation - Is there any issue venting straight to hull?

I know a lot of you guys have catch cans that vent into the hull.

But.

Is there any issue of using a small filter on the crank case barb straight on the motor?

Is there a risk of fuel vapour in the hull potentially building up and possibly being a fire risk?

Do you need the can or not?

I don't mind if a small amount of oil swashes around in the hull... But the fuel vapour, is that dangerous?

(Reason: I just don't like having unnecessary parts/clutter)

+1
    Hey mate, if you are doing much ocean riding you would want to keep the crankcase hose connected to the intake piping as it gives the s/c and other parts a bit of corrosion resistance.
    If you are riding in fresh water I believe the reason for the catch cans is to route the fume away from the intake, if you were to vent it into the engine compartment it would just find it's way into the intake and defeat the purpose.

Banned User
    +1
    Appreciate the reply.

Purpose: Reduce clutter

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Hey mate, if you are doing much ocean riding you would want to keep the crankcase hose connected to the intake piping as it gives the s/c and other parts a bit of corrosion resistance.
    If you are riding in fresh water I believe the reason for the catch cans is to route the fume away from the intake, if you were to vent it into the engine compartment it would just find it's way into the intake and defeat the purpose.

I have an o4 that vents off the front of the motor. My hose is only about 3 to 4 inches before the catch can and have had no issues.
    It is right under the front suport, you can see in pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4640.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	219821  

+1
    I would like to know the same thing. R&D makes a crankcase breather kit that's just an air filter with no catch can. My homemade catch can disintigrated this year and I have been just running a filter at the end of the hose. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by h2jim View Post
    I would like to know the same thing. R&D makes a crankcase breather kit that's just an air filter with no catch can. My homemade catch can disintigrated this year and I have been just running a filter at the end of the hose. Doesn't seem to be a problem.
    As I said, I couldn't see it causing a problem, but the fume would be making it's way into the intake, the whole point of the catch can is to stop this..

+1
    My thinking is that in combination, the hose and the can allow the liqiud and vapor to separate. Liquid falling into the can and vapors out through the filter. With just a filter on the end of the barb you may not get the separation and the filter may want to clog.

+1
    That's what I thought too. I have been running my ski like this for several weeks now and everything is good. No liquid in the hose and no dripping from the filter. Seems to work just fine. I only did this as a quick fix on a weekend to keep running after my catch can crapped out. Every time I checked the filter all seemed good so I have not been in a panic to add another catch can.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I would not recommend that, I have seen ppl and myself too finding water in the catch can, I believe its the moisture build up, just rarely I have found water on my catch can but its mostly unburnt gas and oil.

you dont want that crap going back into your engine, clogging the the intercooler and adding some unwanted fumes into the intake manifold/combustion chamber. You want to shoot for %100 fresh oxygen.

Also could there be a chance of messing up the map sensor inside the intake manifold dumping all that in it?

+1
    If you are riding in fresh water I believe the reason for the catch cans is to route the fume away from the intake,
    if you were to vent it into the engine compartment it would just find it's way into the intake and defeat the purpose.
    NOt if your drawing your air in from the outside such as rear air intake.

I reccomend to run a can and not just the filter and or not to intake.
    I remove and check my catch can between ever ride.
    I catch zero oil due to good rings, but always catch a plastic bottle cap full or less of condensation and fuel per tank of gas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information