Water in XPL Hull

I'm stumped!!!

After about 5 minutes of riding at speed, I am finding about 2 buckets of water in my XPL. I have checked all hoses including the engine drain hose, checked all seals and gaskets, replaced the driveline seal, removed and resealed the sponson mounts and replaced and re-sealed the pump shoe. The water does not come in at idle speed, but appears to only come in when the ski is on the plain. I have rode around with the back hatch off and the main hatch open and cannot see where the water is coming in.

I have removed and resealed the bung mounts, skimmed the keel with resin and checked the front tow hook, to no avail. The water keeps coming in so fast, even the bilge pump cannot keep up.

So. The only place I can think of is the bond line which I will tackle this week.

Has anyone else ever come across this problem? Has anyone ever had their bond line leak as bad as this. Please help. Am at the end of my wits.
    Skeletor

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you missed a point to check....look in the back of the pump. in the venturi there should be two 1/8"dia tubes looking at you on the top of the venturi. if you are missing one that is your problem.

Excellent point airbornexp. Also the 98 xpl takes on alot of water through the intakes. If you're putting the nose in often, it can get ahead of the bilge. I put money on one of the two tubes is missing in the venturi. It's part of a siphon and if one is missing, your hull will fill up. GL

The two clear venturi tubes are connected, but dont seem to do alot when it comes to siphoning out the water. I have checked both and they are not blocked.

The ski is a 2001 model and this happens in calm water with no spray coming over the bow.

+1
    they may be connected and not clogged but are the tubes In the venturi? can you verify that there are 2 small tubes sticking in the venturi?

If you have one missing the water flows the opposite way and can sink your ski...fast!

+1
    Skeletor, just to make sure... I hope you are not looking at the two tubes inside of your hull.... airborne is talking about where they end which is in the venturi / pump nozzle, look at them from outside of the hull, if even one is missing than at high rpm's it will push the water inside of the hull instead creating a suction. Also, there are two small o-rings between the venturi nozzle and the pump body (one for each tube) if these are missing it might not seal properly and it will suck air from there instead sucking from the hull.
    PS
    Idk, maybe you were looking at the right place already, this is just to make clarify things up...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3481.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	219947

Airborne and Wes,

You both are spot on.

I cannot believe that all the 'experts' over here could not figure this out. I looked in the venturi last night and surprise, surprise!! Both venturi tubes are missing. Thank you both for your quick responses and the solution. I have a spare reduction nozzle that has the tubes in place, so I will use those.

After destroying two motors and been towed in 16 times, it will be wonderful to ride without having to beach the ski and drain it. Funny thing! Twice I sat the ski in the pool, tied it to a pylon and le it run at varying revs to see what would happen.

All I got for my troubles.................. was an empty pool and neighbours shaking their heads! But no water in the ski.

So, once again. Thank you Wes and Airborne. I think this is the second time you have been on the money with an answer to my problems.

+1
    Well, I think the credit should go to AirborneXP but if you want to include me in the invitation to your big Australian reef than I will be happy to go too!

+1
    No Problem homie....if you want to fly me and my RXP down there that would be great

My xpls the same likes water...

First it was the front cover leaking into storage tray then that dripping in, which is now sealed
    Then the front tubes on pre 2000 xpls were sealed up
    Then I changed the bailer/bung setup to the one in the four strokes with the bailer screens built into the bungs to help keep things dry
    Then one day with waves crashing onto beach filling footwells I notice they are leaking pulled of turf and sikaflexed all the rivet holes.

So it's alot better and now all it seems to be is the bilge pump line back syphoning water in when I'm stopped even though I've got it router up around the seat sock :s

Thread Information