+1

SL650 only runs with 2 spark plugs

Needless to say, a day out riding was ruined, the darn thing won't start. Even starting fluid didn't do any good.
    I took 1 spark plug out to check for fire and it starts right up.... woowhoooo! Put it back in and it won't start What the heck?
    Odd thing is the ski will start with 1 plug out and does not matter which one
    Guys, any idea? Thanks mucho!

This issue has been posted on here a couple times, I can't remember the problem off hand, but if you use the search function and do some reading you will find it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Something is weak;

battery, ignition coil, grounding, plug wires, stator, CDI

Make sure the battery is producing over 10.6 volts while cranking with all spark plugs installed.

If the battery voltage sags below 10.6 volts while cranking, the battery is weak. Charge the battery, or better yet, replace it with a new factory sealed AGM type battery

If you ground one spark plug wire but leave the spark plug installed, does it start?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    You have the wires going to the wrong plugs, or "B" you have a smoked cylinder. Do a compression test first,If all checks out good then follow this:How to figure out which cylinder is dead or weak

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    You have the wires going to the wrong plugs...
    On everything except the Pro 785, the Fuji CDI ignition fires all three coils and all three spark plugs together, so it doesn't matter which spark plug wire goes to which cylinder.

This happened on my SL650 due to a smoked ground wire going to the stator... Assuming your battery has good cranking voltage, I would crack open the electrical box, inspect connections, and ohm test the stator. Pay close attention to the ground wires. Anything higher than a few ohms is too much.

You ever touch the metal electrical box to the battery +? That would cook your stator ground wire.

+1

Grounding suspected

Guys, thanks for all the quick replies!
    I believe K447 and thester71 are right on. It's gotto be grounding because everytime a plug is out I have to rest it on a head stud for ground of course, and it fires. So come to think of it ..... I hope it's that new coat of paint I put on the head, that will be an easy fix b/c I can just sand off the spot faces where head nuts go on.
    I'll follow up with the results when I get home. Again thank you all!

+1
    Update!
    I still don't know exactly where the problem lies
    Before messing the paint on the head, I decided to check the stator/battery ground first and they were tight. Tried start the ski just for heck of it and she started

I noticed the battery terminal screws were getting a bit rusty, so I went ahead and replace them and clean up the connectors as well. The ski now has no problem starting.
    I'm pretty sure it's grounding but unsure where it is. Well, it's time for me to get the multifunction meter out and start checking
    Again thanks all!

Thread Information