Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pump shoe disaster........help?

Finally got my pump shoe sealed and installed. Let everything setup and was installing my intake grate but one of the bolts wouldn't go all the way in and tighten up. So I backed it out and back in several times then got too impatient I guess and broke the bolt off in the shoe. To make matters worse broke an easy out then pretty much destroyed the mounting surface trying to get it out. I guess I need to get a new pump shoe checked the classifieds but nothing recent and I don't have enough posts to post in that area. So if someone has a good used one for a 1200r I would really appreciate it.

+1
    If you just sealed it, you should pull it right away and clean the hull surface as soon as you can. Glue will still be wet. I will help you find a shoe. Were are you located? Oh and welcome to the forum. Also, read up on the tunnel reinforcement for these ski's, you need to do it.

maybe he could get away with upgrading to the 8mm now...

Unfortunately I let it set up with the floor jack under it so its well dried. Sure that is going to be fun. So far I take 2 steps forward and 3 back on this project but maybe by summer things will be back together. I have read on the tunnel reinforcement and its on my list of to do's. Carbs are at Oside Bills, got my late model inserts for the shoe and rideplate yesterday, would just like to get this shoe issue fixed so I can move on.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_2000r6 View Post
    Unfortunately I let it set up with the floor jack under it so its well dried. Sure that is going to be fun. So far I take 2 steps forward and 3 back on this project but maybe by summer things will be back together. I have read on the tunnel reinforcement and its on my list of to do's. Carbs are at Oside Bills, got my late model inserts for the shoe and rideplate yesterday, would just like to get this shoe issue fixed so I can move on.

Justin
    what do you have to loose, give it a shot, primarily when doing the shoe you bolt it up and slowly torque the bolts to spec... you have the original bolts in?

Yea the shoe bolts are all in and torqued. One of the rear grate bolts is what broke off in the shoe and then I made a mess trying to get it out, so the shoe is messed up.

+1
    welcome to the forum. this can be fixed

Yea the shoe bolts are all in and torqued. One of the rear grate bolts is what broke off in the shoe and then I made a mess trying to get it out, so the shoe is messed up.
    take a pic, can you drill and tap to 8mm bolt size and save the shoe?

I can try again tomorrow I guess. What size drill bit should I use? The hole that I started actually isn't straight I belive because the bolt I broke was an aftermarket for the r&d grate and it must be harder because it just ruined my bit.

I can try again tomorrow I guess. What size drill bit should I use?
    IDK, maybe go to http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-taps/=9jacne and check out their taps, it should have corresponding drill sizes...

a good small kit to have while owning the GPR is 6mmx1.0, 8mmx1.25, and 10mmx1.5 I believe... comes in handy to clean threads in other parts...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information