Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

what did this shop just do to my ski?

i needed to get my ski winterized, and i called around and found someone that would do it for 40 bucks. i took it there but instead of them running the ski and pushing rv antifreeze through, they disconnected the two hoses on the head that feed water and just put rv antifreeze in a funnel and let it run through the ski without it running.

is this an okay way to do it? i could have done that and saved 40 bucks. they put a little antifreeze in the head where the two hoses connected to, then just let rv antifreeze run through it without it running. it came out of the back. before doing this they used compressed air to push out whatever water was in there.

i kept asking the service lady what the hell was going on and she kept saying it was okay to let the antifreeze fall through, but you cant push it through. all they did was put a funnel in a hose and put a half gallon through with the motor off.

im confused. i didnt want to start another typical winterizing thread, and i pmed the more northern guys to see how they did it and i dont have any air or bildge pump laying around and i just wanted to get it done.

is this true that that method doesent hurt anything? doesent seem like theres much antifreeze in the system at all.

+1
    well thats half ass, the most important thing on that ski to me would be to stabilize the fuel and run the ski long enough after adding a treatment so your not pulling the carbs next year. Then you can start with rv antifreeze and fogging the cylinders. Then follow up greasing all cables and pump area. You get what you pay for and 40 is nothing for a shop to do it. Your asking whether the way they did it would hurt? probably not but they should have started it while pouring the antifreeze in.

+1
    That's all I have done for the last 20 years up here in Canada, after I add fuel stabilizer and fog the engine. I spray the fogging oil in the carbs with the ski running until it chokes it out. Then I spray fogging oil down the spark plugs. I then turn the engine over by hand and spray again.

agreed, sounds like something weird with communication, did they describe the work to you before they proceeded with that?

even when flushing on the hose, most of the water from the engine will drain back thru the inlet pump hose, leaving whatever gravity level left in the cooling passages...
    what`s important its to not have your water locker or water tank full of water.

I usually fill a 5 gallon pal with the pink RV antifreeze, submerse a pump into the liquid with an attachment to the flush connection, start ski, turn on the sub pump and let the jungle juice flow thru all the way out the exhaust. after it self drains, lift the ski up and let some more drain and your done, this is of course AFTER you add stabil to the fuel.
    then I would let cool pull the plugs and fog the crap out of it making sure the oil gets down into the transefer ports...

+1
    does it get that cold in your area of VA? Having anti freeze in the cooling system couldn't hurt but I NEVER used any in the six winters of winterizing...I just SALT- AWAY on the ski then turn off the water and let it rev a little after turning off and on the ski..you'll get most of the water out...sure some will still be in the water lines but not enough to freeze and expand...besides by the time real freezing temps come most of the water is evaporated...The only exception would be if you continue to ski near freezing or sub freezing temps...you still have too much water in there and could freeze overnite..,IMHO

BTW yes what Crashhard says...STABLIZER IN THE FUEL..

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    does it get that cold in your area of VA? Having anti freeze in the cooling system couldn't hurt but I NEVER used any in the six winters of winterizing...I just SALT- AWAY on the ski then turn off the water and let it rev a little after turning off and on the ski..you'll get most of the water out...sure some will still be in the water lines but not enough to freeze and expand...besides by the time real freezing temps come most of the water is evaporated...The only exception would be if you continue to ski near freezing or sub freezing temps...you still have too much water in there and could freeze overnite..,IMHO

BTW yes what Crashhard says...STABLIZER IN THE FUEL..
    what no WOOD alcohol??? bwahahahahahaha
    you nits why just leave water in the system in Jersey winters, your just asking for trouble...ooof

Ive seen mechanics install AF with a bug sprayer/garden sprayer...

+1
    I ride with 5-6 guys with open loop cooling systems till the end of Oct. .. not one uses any antifreeze..I've never and they have never had any issues...AF can't hurt like stated before...if you feel better and gives you peace of mind then go head...just sayin

+1
    no no no, ive already stabilized the fuel and run that fuel plenty. thats taken care of. marine stabil. they fogged the cyls too.

thats what wfo said i knew most of the water would be out, if you start the ski after its been sitting for a day or 2 youll get even more water out of there. i didnt think it would have enough water in there to expand, 40 bucks was the best price i could find, and all i wanted them to do was put rv antifreeze in there. id like to do the bug/garden sprayer way but cant find a way to take the hose that comes out of that sprayer to a big garden hose attachment. it would be going from like a 3/8s hose to a big old 3/4 inch garden hose. and id still like to use my garden hose ballsocket shut off valve thing. i was thinking over the winter of buying another flush fitting, then cutting off the garden hose part, and wiring in a ball socket and mating it all to a garden sprayer. that would be nice too cause then when i ride salt water i can take that filled with 2 gallons of fresh water and use it to flush the salt out real quick so salt doesent sit in there for the hour/ 2 hour ride home, and if we get food or something time.

and yes it gets cold here. im in radford va, at about 1900 feet elevation, last year in my jeep i took this:

5 degrees is cold shit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    no no no, ive already stabilized the fuel and run that fuel plenty. thats taken care of. marine stabil. they fogged the cyls too.

thats what wfo said i knew most of the water would be out, if you start the ski after its been sitting for a day or 2 youll get even more water out of there. i didnt think it would have enough water in there to expand, 40 bucks was the best price i could find, and all i wanted them to do was put rv antifreeze in there. id like to do the bug/garden sprayer way but cant find a way to take the hose that comes out of that sprayer to a big garden hose attachment. it would be going from like a 3/8s hose to a big old 3/4 inch garden hose. and id still like to use my garden hose ballsocket shut off valve thing. i was thinking over the winter of buying another flush fitting, then cutting off the garden hose part, and wiring in a ball socket and mating it all to a garden sprayer. that would be nice too cause then when i ride salt water i can take that filled with 2 gallons of fresh water and use it to flush the salt out real quick so salt doesent sit in there for the hour/ 2 hour ride home, and if we get food or something time.

and yes it gets cold here. im in radford va, at about 1900 feet elevation, last year in my jeep i took this:

5 degrees is cold shit.

don't tell us you went jet sking that day...If you have the Salt Away kit you put the Rv in the holding container and flush through the same... don't know if your gonna get a water to AF mix ratio your looking for.... I'm gonna use the Salt Away after every ride instead just end of season...my waterjackets probably have barnacles growing on them...

+1
    no i didnt go get skiing that day, the lake was frozen. still wouldnt have if it wasnt frozen.

where can i find this salt away thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information