Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Pre Purchase Inspection on SHO

Hi -

I am looking at used, low-hour FZS/ SHO's and was wondering what to look for prior to purchase. I did a search and couldnt find anything.

During a water test, what RPM should I be getting?
    What area of the hull is known to crack?
    Can I extend the factory warranty?

I am guessing my best bet is a pre purchase inspection at the local yamaha dealer?

+1
    I'm looking to spend $8000 on a 08-09 ski with trailer. I think I should be able to pick one up for that price. I just missed out on an 08, 12 hours, 2 years left on warranty for $7300.

+1
    You can buy an extended warranty from Yamaha after the fact for $1000. It will get you two years vs four when buying a new ski.

Water tests are good to do and an inspection at a Yamaha dealer is excellent.

I remember reading on the FZS/R they were prone to cracking on the rear tow hooks. If you do a search you should find some info. Good luck with your purchase!

+1
    Questions will depend on the number of hours. You shouldn't see any issues with compression or wear ring wear on a ski with 10-20 hours.

Check the hull, prop, and wear ring for damage. Check the oil and take it for a ride and see what it does.

During a water test, what RPM should I be getting? - somewhere around 75-7600ish

If the ski does not have extended warranty I believe you have until the end of the original 12 month warranty to buy the extended warranty.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    Hi -
    What area of the hull is known to crack?
    Some of the Yamaha SHO's and FZ's have cracked in the pump tunnel area, under the bottom where the shaft goes into the hull. Also, some of these craft have been heavily abused in ocean wave jumping; the damage will usually show up on the transom end, but of course it may have been repaired. A proper hull inspection with a flashlight would be a good idea. For a little more money you could probably get a brand new hold-back unit with zero hours if you shop around.

+1
    I would check the pump, impeller, wear ring, supercharger/clutch play, steering/reverse/trim operation, idle speed (1250 +/-100), and hull. Ideally it would be best to take the ski for a spin. I would also do a glance over of the entire engine to see if anything looks out of place.

Perhaps not a complete list, but a living checklist?

• Check Pump area for damage
    • Check Rear of hull for cracks and/or damage
    • Check Impeller for damage
    • Check bottom of hull for excessive wear/damage
    • Check all tie downs for secureness
    • Check Steering nozzle for excessive play
    • Check steering nozzle for straightness with steering centered and trim neultral
    • Check ride plate for damage and all bolts in place
    • Check intake grate for damage and all bolts i nplace (FZ skies preferably should have aftermarket intake grate installed
    • Check reverse gate operation
    • Verify gauges function
    • Verify off throttle steering (OTS) functions
    • Verify L-Mode and security functions (You should have 2 transmitters)
    • Visual of battery condition
    • Visual of Spark Plugs
    • Check Bilge Pump functions
    • Drain plugs in place and in good condition
    • Visual of air filter
    • Check water separator (in hull in front of motor under steering area)
    • Check fuel lines
    • Check oil (when was oil filter and oil changed)
    • If possible check compression
    • If possible pull valve cover and check valve clearances
    • If possible pull intake off of supercharger and check for play on wheel. Should only turn in one direction.
    • Ride it. If they wil not let you leave.

+1
    So far I have found a few 09 FZR/S models for 10,300 new no trailer. That is not a bad price at all, but I am not sure how well the FZS will fit me. It doesnt look like it has much room for island hopping supplies. That and I have been reading the FZS has bucking issues. I'm 32 years old and in a good position in life. I dont think a torn pelvis would fit into my life plans at this point.

The only local SHO I can find the kid wants 10,700 for. Its an 09 with a trailer, 22 hours. I am not sure how much I can get his down since that what he owes on it, but I wouldnt pay over 9000 for it.

well, you have the front storage and the storage bucket under the rear seat on the FZS, but I guess the FX has a bit more storage.
    As for the bucking issues, if you ski is 100% stock, you should'nt have to worry about it.
    But to be absolutely safe (better safe than sorry), just buy and install a R&D or Riva intake grate (with seal kit). It's not very expensive and it is well worth it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information