+1

Starter Bendix Bushing

I'm finally getting to the point of installing my stator and reassembling everything. Unfortunately I have to pull the motor to do this because I just can't get a good swing at the impact driver from the front compartment. The problem is I can't find the brass bushing (shim) that rests between the bendix and the flywheel cover. None of the local vendors have anything close to the OEM part.

Is the bushing absolutely necessary? Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the bushing so I can possibly make one? Just measuring the flywheel cover it seems the bushing should be about 1/2" ID and about 1" OD but I don't know the thickness.

Thanks,
    KJ

+1
    just get another cover it's easier ,i'll see if i have one infact i know i do pm me your address

Do you mean the thrust washer, or the bushing inside the flywheel cover? The bushing shouldn't have fell out, and is ABSOLUTELY necessary. The trust washer, you can do without, or find a similar washer.

The front end of the bendix walks all over the place without being held in place. It would likely destroy the teeth on the flywheel or bendix in short order without the support.

Banned User
    +1
    Use a cordless impact driver rather than the one you hit with a hammer>>>>> way easier to use and will break the screws loose effortlessly

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    Do you mean the thrust washer, or the bushing inside the flywheel cover? The bushing shouldn't have fell out, and is ABSOLUTELY necessary. The trust washer, you can do without, or find a similar washer.
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, it's the thrust washer that prevents wear against the cover, not the brass pilot bushing that's pressed into the cover. The pilot bushing is just fine.

ACE hardware has zinc plated machine bushings. I suppose I could get one of those and apply a coat of grease to it. I was just worried about the possibility of rust and that's why I was tying to track down a brass washer.

Thanks for the offer Bob, but I think the cover itself will be okay.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, it's the thrust washer that prevents wear against the cover, not the brass pilot bushing that's pressed into the cover. The pilot bushing is just fine.

ACE hardware has zinc plated machine bushings. I suppose I could get one of those and apply a coat of grease to it. I was just worried about the possibility of rust and that's why I was tying to track down a brass washer.

Thanks for the offer Bob, but I think the cover itself will be okay.

KJ
    i have the washers send me your address i'll send you 2 of them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Use a cordless impact driver rather than the one you hit with a hammer>>>>> way easier to use and will break the screws loose effortlessly
    That's a decent thought but the problem is I would have to buy one. Now, don't get me wrong, any excuse to buy a new tool is usually a really good one but it seems like I'm constantly dropping $100 here, another $100 there.

Your suggestion does have a big plus side: $75 for a cordless impact driver versus 2+ of labor pulling and reinstalling the engine? I just might have to make a trip to Sears.

KJ

+1
    Just take the hood off and take the tank out and shove your body in there. I fit!, Still kinda hard to get the hammer in there swinging though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    i have the washers send me your address i'll send you 2 of them
    PM Sent.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Just take the hood off and take the tank out and shove your body in there. I fit!, Still kinda hard to get the hammer in there swinging though.
    I've done enough stupid things over the years that my lower back doesn't cooperate too well in tight spaces like that anymore. Yes I can wiggle down in there, but staying for any length of time can easily lead to some lumbar tweaks.

I can reach the stator but I just can't get a good angle to hold the impact driver snug to the screw and get a good swing with the hammer

Thread Information