The lake

Winterizing Seadoo 4 tec jetskis some tips and clarification on antifreeze

Ok guys I see a million threads mostly asking the same questions in different ways and for different machines. There is not really any clear step by step on how to winterize these as far as filling them with antifreeze. I had the same questions too so I did alot of research and this is what I came up with. I live in the Northeast so it gets real cold in the winter. The easiest way to figure out where the antifreeze goes is to go download the manual free on this site. Go to the cooling section. Dont bother with the winterizing section because it does not give you clear directions on the cooling part.

Look at the open loop cooling (the exhaust) you will see schematics with arrows that show the flow of the water. What you are looking for is a big fat hose comes off the pump and supplies cooling water from the lake to the (front) bottom of the manifold on the 185 and lower HP engines. On the 215 engines that same hose runs up to the intercooler first then continues down to the manifold.

Its real simple. You disconnect the big fat inlet cooling hose at the pump end and pump antifreeze through it. This will fill the manifold (and intercooler if you have one) with antifreeze then come out the back. Its the same direction/flow as the lake water would come. Some people back feed it (they pump it through the hose fitting on the back of the ski) does this work? I dont know I would assume so since the water can only go where there are passages. From what everyone is saying you can run the ski and blip the throttle here and there, or you can also push it through without the motor on then start the motor. I believe both ways will get the job done. Just make sure you run it after to get most of it out of the waterbox. I have a sump pump in a 5 gallon bucket of antifreeze that hooks right to the fat hose. Make sure you hook the hose back up and tighten the the clamp or you will be in for a suprise in the spring.

The rest of the procedures include adding stabil to the gas, changing the oil and some fogging / lube which I think is pretty self explanitory.

If anyone has anything to add please do so. Hope this helps you guys and answers some coolant questions. You can use regular rv antifreeze its usually good till 50 below.

Here is the example of the 185HP water flow. All other models can be found in the free manual here!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00117-20101102-1802.jpg 
Views:	3079 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	219970

If you rev the engine after taking it out for the winter, drain intercooler and fill with 6.5 oz antifreeze, then pour 10 oz antifreeze down the intercooler hose into the exhaust manifold - isn't that plenty of protection for sub-freezing storage ?

you don't have to disconnect any hoses at all.
    I just connect a 3 foot length of garden hose to the flush fitting,by the jet pump, pour in about half a gallon of antifreeze, blip the throttle a few times and as soon as I see antifreeze out the exhaust, I'm done.
    if your running a water filter, disconnect the filters discharge side hose and pour the antifreeze in there as you don't want to get antifreeze on the filter. remove the filter cap and store in the house.

Then I remove the spark plugs, spray in some storage seal and spin the engine over a bit, spray a bit more, spin over. done.
    remove battery and makes sure ski is dry inside.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    rv antifreeze is cheap.

I do the inject thru flush fitting routine, but I run a full gallon thru there..once you see it dripping on the floor..good to go. never a problem.

I made up a little rig that holds the bottle with the q/d fitting so I can watch the antifreeze go in as I'm fogging the motor.

on older 2 stroke skis you need to plug the exit line to make sure the a/f gets thru the entire motor.

really important on rfi/di skis and older kaws as the stator cooling area is small and you are assured of problems if you don't get af in there.

Thread Information