Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

WOT during break-in?

I posted this question in the general section, but it is more related to performance. If an RXT was broke-in by using the learning key for the entire 10 hours, how much would this reduce the overall power of the motor? I was under the impression that it was important to do a WOT run within the first 30 minutes, to set the rings correctly. Also, I thought I read somewhere that the "learning key" disables the 3rd cylinder so that the ski only runs with 2. Is that true?

+1
    The only thing my dealer told me when I baught my ski is to avoid running it WOT for long periods.
    As far as the learning key, I don't think it disable the cylinders cause it would create a major vibration, I had a injector go bad on me and was running on 2 cyl only, could not go over 5000 rpm and was shaking like an old man with parkinson. Learning key electronicaly prevent the ski from going over 5200 rpm or 32 mph.

Banned User
    +1
    Learner key = throttle % reduction.

Ride it like you stole it, keep blipping the throttle, wot = ok, just not for long.
    Keep carying.

Make sure its warmed up before blipping to WOT.

+1
    DO NOT break these motors in with the learners key! Not sure on the % numbers, but you will be fine to break it in with a few short WOT bursts. The more time u get on it, the more often, and longer u should do WOT passes. The rings need to seat, and the learners key will not let it rev high enough to seat properly. IMO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    DO NOT break these motors in with the learners key! Not sure on the % numbers, but you will be fine to break it in with a few short WOT bursts. The more time u get on it, the more often, and longer u should do WOT passes. The rings need to seat, and the learners key will not let it rev high enough to seat properly. IMO
    Psycho, so if the owner of a ski that's for sale, broke-in the ski using the learners key for the full 10 hours, should I avoid purchasing it? I'm trying to pickup another RXT 215 to go with the one I already have. Definitely don't want one ski being a lot more powerful than the other.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Psycho, so if the owner of a ski that's for sale, broke-in the ski using the learners key for the full 10 hours, should I avoid purchasing it? I'm trying to pickup another RXT 215 to go with the one I already have. Definitely don't want one ski being a lot more powerful than the other.
    I wouldn't say that it will turn out to be a turd because it was broke in that way, but I definately wouldn't break one in with that learners key. If u can get a better deal on one broken in properly look into that route. It could turn out to be OK, but only way to tell is if a compression test shows good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    It could turn out to be OK, but only way to tell is if a compression test shows good.
    Exactly ... check the compression before you buy, should be 135 - 150 (depending on cam timing). Post the compression numbers here, would be interesting to hear what it is ...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Exactly ... check the compression before you buy, should be 135 - 150 (depending on cam timing). Post the compression numbers here, would be interesting to hear what it is ...
    Thanks guys! Compression tests are a bit new to me. Is there a recommended compression gauge to use with skis, or will any old compression gauge from Autozone do the trick? Also, any advice for testing procedure.

+1
    The spark plug size/thread on our skis are a little uncommon ... I forget the exact size, but I got a metric kit from Harbor Freight that had 3 metric spark plug adaptors in it for like $25. Cheap and it works great.

Make sure the battery is 100% fully charged, pull one spark plug at a time, hold the throttle WOT (will stop sparking & starting) and crank until the gauge needle no longer increases.

If you go to Autozone, pull a spark plug first and make sure whatever kit you buy has an adaptor that is the same size and thread as the spark plugs and you will be fine.
    Last edited by Vern; 11-02-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: added

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    The spark plug size/thread on our skis are a little uncommon... I forget the exact size
    12mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information