Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SHO problems

+1

SHO problems

My son borrowed my 2008 SHO on Monday. He jumped a wave and didn't see the second one coming. It hit the back of the ski as he was coming down and flipped the ski forward so that it nose dived into the wave, half submersing the ski. He hurt himself and his price so he brought the ski straight back to the ramp. Returning to the ramp the ski was idling very rough and had a much louder than normal exhaust noise. The ski is very irratic on idle, bouncing anywhere from 1-3K revs. It's all over the place. I checked out the exhaust system and pulled it apart, but found nothing obvious. Before I take it to a Yamaha dealer (which is 4.5 hours drive away - each way!), does anyone have any other suggestions on what else I could check? - thanks.

+1
    The most likely problem is water ingested into the motor and is still hung up in the intake ducting. You really need to look the the motor over and look for things such as broken engine mounts, broken clamps, motor smoking from loose exhaust hoses, engine sensor wires loose or broken etc, etc.
    Maybe post a video of the motor running so we can hear and see whats possibly happening
    Hope this can help.

Quote Originally Posted by DP. View Post
    The most likely problem is water ingested into the motor and is still hung up in the intake ducting. You really need to look the the motor over and look for things such as broken engine mounts, broken clamps, motor smoking from loose exhaust hoses, engine sensor wires loose or broken etc, etc.
    Maybe post a video of the motor running so we can hear and see whats possibly happening
    Hope this can help.
    +1 also check your plugs, post that video up.

+1
    Check the nano hull, stern and pump tunnel on the bottom for any cracks, and before you take it out again check it on the trailer at the ramp to see if you have any water coming in the bottom of the hull. Big jumping is not good for these heavy 4 strokes, hope you get it sorted out.

+1
    take the plugs out and see if they have water on them. crank the engine over with them out to flush any water out of the bores. also check the air filter it may be soaked.

+1
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

It turned out to be the intake manifold. A number of bolts had vibrated out and were found rolling around in the bottom of the hull and one of the bracket support bolts had snapped off inside the block. Don't know what cause the bolts to vibrate out though. Thought maybe a broken engine mount might have cause it, but they were all OK. Main thing is that the loud engine noise has gone and the ski idles sweet. Just have to try it out on the water now.

Thanks again.

Loose intake manifold.

When i removed my ribbon i thought the tension on the nuts was a little low, i followed the manuals torque specs and used the correct loctite but i still might check them after every ride to be safe

Are you from Aus Rory? because there is a similar story that happened on OZPWC that i read, bout half way down by peter RXT-X

http://www.ozpwc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8944&page=4

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezzosoap View Post
    When i removed my ribbon i thought the tension on the nuts was a little low, i followed the manuals torque specs and used the correct loctite but i still might check them after every ride to be safe

Are you from Aus Rory? because there is a similar story that happened on OZPWC that i read, bout half way down by peter RXT-X

http://www.ozpwc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8944&page=4

Yes, that's me. I wasn't impressed at the time when it happened. At least it happened at the end of the Skifari and not the beginning like a number of other riders. It would have really sucked to have driven so far to take part, only to have your ski pack it in at the ramp.

Did you end up removing your ribbon?, I did mine and didnt notice any difference, I also fitted a BOV to help save my sc clutch only problem with it is that it sounds like a squeaky toy under my seat everytime i unhook in the water lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezzosoap View Post
    Did you end up removing your ribbon?, I did mine and didnt notice any difference, I also fitted a BOV to help save my sc clutch only problem with it is that it sounds like a squeaky toy under my seat everytime i unhook in the water lol
    Yes, I've now removed the ribbon, but that's the only mod I've done to the ski. The ski pulled 110kph on GPS a number of times during Skifari 2010, but that was on flat water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information