Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interchangeability

Does anyone know what the differences are between a 1050 crankshaft and cases versus the 1200. I believe that 1050 cases can be machined so that 1200 cylinders will fit. I'm not sure about the crankshafts as some of the part numbers are the same and some are not. I have another project in mind if the parts can be interchanged with some work.

Thanks,
    Gary

+1

cases and cranks

all the polaris domestic triple cases are the same except the msx cases and will take all the cranks 900/1050/1200(msx will fit but must remove snap ring). the 900/1050 cases need to be relieved to use the 84 mm pistons. we get 150.00 for the machineing. the cylinders fit on the block but the pistons will hit. the cranks of the 900/1050 are full circle and have the same stroke and rod length. the 1200 is a pork chop style cank. the rod length and stroke are diffrent. the 1200 crank does produce more vibration. the full circle crank is much smoother and stuff the cases better. this is the more desireable crank and can be stroke up to a 1200 and bigger. in the works is a full circle crank that will yeild a 1450 with custom rods and cylinders/pistons. hope this information helps.
    Last edited by 2&4strokepolaristech; 10-31-2006 at 07:50 PM.

4strokepolaristech, once again, thank you for the information!

Ok, so if I just put 1200 cylinders on my 1050 lower end what else do I need to do to make it work? What cc will it be? What other work do the cylinders need?

+1
    it is not just a bolt on thing. what are you trying to accomplish? the stroke and rod length is diffrent from the 1050 to the 1200. you will need to mod your 1050 cases for the bigger bore piston as well. the pin diameter is diffrent from the 1050 to 1200 as well. give us a call and we can build you what you want. what are you after to do? i have a complete fresh 1200 engine for sale with many new parts. please call the numbers listed below. either of us can help you out.

Atlantic Powersports 732-920-7669
    Sharps Marine 315-343-6513

So is the msx crank case studs the same length as the others? Or are they all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 4strokepolaristech View Post
    it is not just a bolt on thing. what are you trying to accomplish? the stroke and rod length is diffrent from the 1050 to the 1200. you will need to mod your 1050 cases for the bigger bore piston as well. the pin diameter is diffrent from the 1050 to 1200 as well. give us a call and we can build you what you want. what are you after to do? i have a complete fresh 1200 engine for sale with many new parts. please call the numbers listed below. either of us can help you out.

Atlantic Powersports 732-920-7669
    Sharps Marine 315-343-6513
    It would be much more informative for everyone if you discussed the solutions to these questions here. I'm not looking to have anyone start building my motors for me. I just saw your post regarding the cranks and cases, but there wasn't a complete explaination. I'm already well on my way to completing a pair of big bore engines.

Quote Originally Posted by snowxr View Post
    It would be much more informative for everyone if you discussed the solutions to these questions here. I'm not looking to have anyone start building my motors for me. I just saw your post regarding the cranks and cases, but there wasn't a complete explaination. I'm already well on my way to completing a pair of big bore engines.
    I was the thread starter and I thought the information provided did an excellent job of answering my questions. Being you are already well on your way to completing a pair of big bore engines, do you have any information that you can share with us regarding this thread topic?

Thanks,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
    I was the thread starter and I thought the information provided did an excellent job of answering my questions. Being you are already well on your way to completing a pair of big bore engines, do you have any information that you can share with us regarding this thread topic?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Well, yes actually.
    As for the cylinders, the 1050 ( 81x68mm) motor can be made bigger by installing 1200 cylinders, if you make the case accept them, and use the proper 84mm piston. OR, the MSX 1200 cylinders ( 85mm ) can be used, again with the correct piston. These pistons will have a smaller pin than a 1200 ( 1165 ) or msx ( 1192 ) motor. Doing a little homework will help you find a piston that will work. I am building a larger bore engine, so I can't say what piston is best for anyone's motor but my own.

snowxr, thank you for the information and confirming what 4strokepolaristech for the most part, already stated. However, I can't help but feel that based on the information you just provided, that you already have the answer to your original questions of, "Ok, so if I just put 1200 cylinders on my 1050 lower end what else do I need to do to make it work? What cc will it be? What other work do the cylinders need"? I found your question interesting and I would like to hear your opinion and others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information