Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gut water box out any gains from this?

i read that if you gut the waterbox and take the baffels out that you can gain like 5 hp is this true as i read it that someone did it to a sea doo also id like my ski to have a more manly sounds as is im really into drag racing cars also i love that sounds of raw horse power. so my question is can this hurt the motor in anyway if i do this or can i truely gain from it?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    There are aftermarket waterboxes already available. They CLAIM to add around 5 HP.

They are alot noisier than stock.

So I suppose you can try, and see what happens?

The TDR waterbox made my lean running SLT780 REALLY lean. So I would assume theres some gains, but its nothing major.

And yes, its quite loud, but thats why I got it.

yea but ill save myself the money cuz i have the tools to do it not very hard.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Pull the guts out, polish it up and you can pretend it's an aftermarket waterbox!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC8213.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	220076  

looks good. hoping i can ride this weekend and do it next week. but if its been raining all week and the temp may not go back into the 80s till next week hopefully i can get a few more rides in befor it get to cold for me i live in texas i dont like the cold weather at all if it goes below 70 you wont catch me on the water haha. ill ride the polaris sportsman 800 i need to knock the dust off it anyway

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    What tools would you use to get the guts out of a waterbox??? Sounds like some kind of Polaris surgery to me...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Something to think about...

The stock waterbox has the exit pipe extending down deep inside the box cavity. When going slow, the water box accumulates some water, up until the water is forced out with the exhaust gas stream. On a stock waterbox that happens when the water level gets up to the bottom end of the exit pipe inside the waterbox.

If you shorten the exit pipe so it doesn't stick down as far inside, then the waterbox must fill up with more water before it starts to get forced out the exit.

If you shorten the exit pipe, now there is more water and more weight inside the waterbox. When you hit the throttle, the engine must work to first blow that extra water out, or you just end up hauling that extra water weight with you as you accelerate.

Louder, yes. Faster? Before you modify your waterbox, think about how the waterbox actually works during low speed, initial acceleration, and high speed.

well i was just going to take the baffles out not the exit tube ill leave it as long as it is. and ill just use a cut iff wheel cut one end off from what i see the taks on the sides of the waterbox keep the baffles in there so grind them of they should come out then weld it back up it should work

If you keep a look out, you can get a waterbox for $20-50.. I got my TDR for $30 new. Its made for a Kawasaki 130DI, but is the same thing with a larger inlet.

They go really cheap used on eBay, just not all that often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information