Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impeller Stuck....

I just acquired a 97 GTX and could not get it to start. At 1st I thought the engine was locked, but after I pulled the pump and the driveshaft, I got the engine to start and run fine. So I found the impeller stuck inside the wear ring. I pulled the impeller off the pump shaft and the shaft easily came out of the housing, but the impeller was stuck. I had to hammer it out with a block of wood. I then checked all the shaft bearings and everything moves freely. The wear ring is smooth and no gouges. So I put the impeller back on, which I had to jam it back into the wear ring and still will not work. The starter on the engine will not even turn the motor with the pump installed.

So how could this happen?....I assume it is possible that someone put the wrong size impeller in the boat before I got it....but I doubt it.....what else could have cause it?

Quote Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
    I just acquired a 97 GTX and could not get it to start. At 1st I thought the engine was locked, but after I pulled the pump and the driveshaft, I got the engine to start and run fine. So I found the impeller stuck inside the wear ring. I pulled the impeller off the pump shaft and the shaft easily came out of the housing, but the impeller was stuck. I had to hammer it out with a block of wood. I then checked all the shaft bearings and everything moves freely. The wear ring is smooth and no gouges. So I put the impeller back on, which I had to jam it back into the wear ring and still will not work. The starter on the engine will not even turn the motor with the pump installed.

So how could this happen?....I assume it is possible that someone put the wrong size impeller in the boat before I got it....but I doubt it.....what else could have cause it?

If the impeller is stamped with its specs you could do some digging around to see if it even belongs on that pump. I would try and eliminate that possibility because you never know what some bone head might do. It may be also that its damaged. IDK I'm not looking at it. Either way it sounds like you are going to need a new one.

Doing some more research.....are there different size Wear Rings? Maybe that's the problem...

Doing some more research.....are there different size Wear Rings? Maybe that's the problem...

I think the wear rings are the same across the board with the 140mm pump. The only thing that changes from ski to ski is the impeller pitch.

So the impeller must be wrong.....but it's the diameter that would be wrong, not the pitch.

So the impeller must be wrong.....but it's the diameter that would be wrong, not the pitch.

Hard to say can't see it. Any thing is possible I suppose although you know that what you have isn't working.

+1
    are there any numbers or markings on the impeller? Did you check the threads on the impeller shaft? I have seen impeller shafts bent there, causing the impeller to seize up in the pump.

OK, I took it apart again. Here is what it looks like
    This pic show how the wear ring came out when I knocked out the impeller.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8e493f2d.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	409.1 KB 
ID:	220156
    Here are the markings on the impeller.

Name:	dbb2dde7.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	220157

Name:	dfc1a724.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	220158

Name:	d415be9b.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	220159

So what do those numbers mean on the impeller?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    those numbers would be your pitch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information