+1

Indication that SC bearing is failing?

Had my FZ out for a few minutes yesterday to work on tuning. After warm-up and a couple of brief WOT runs, I noticed a distinct change in the sound of the engine beginning about 5.5k rpm. I figured, great, there goes the SC clutch. Trailered the ski, brought it home and pulled the intake hose expecting to find the impeller turned both ways. Nope, absolutely no clockwise movement, turned freely counterclockwise.

What I did notice was a tiny amount of forward & backward play in the shaft.

Since I'd never checked this before, I just wondered if this was normal, or an indication the the bearing was on its way out.

Found my O2 sensor bung/heatsink had worked themselves very loose and am hoping that an exhaust leak accounted for the change in engine sound.
    Not going to get to water test today, but if the play I described is not normal I thought I might be wise not to push my luck and perhaps get by with only a bearing replacement rather than the whole clutch.

+1
    It's more than likely your o2 bung.

As for your sc..................................... it's a bit hard to describe in words but there should be a small amount of alteral movement in the shaft. Enough to allow oil to get in between the bushes and the shaft + the thrust bearing slipper and it's plate.

But not so much movement that the wheel will start scrapping up against the housing. At this point things go very bad.

One day I'll have to measure it up and post.

If your very good at spanners, pull it apart and check the above. Just don't overdo the loctite (nor underdo the importance of CLEAN) when it's going back together.

Other than that, it's just a hairdryer!

+1
    Thanks, from what you describe, it sounds like I'm ok w/ the amount of movement I felt. Impeller wasn't anywhere near hitting the housing.

+1
    My easy test is, remove the hose and wipe your finger in the outlet of the SC, if it comes out with grey dust on it, then its proof the SC wheel is starting to touch the housing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DP. View Post
    My easy test is, remove the hose and wipe your finger in the outlet of the SC, if it comes out with grey dust on it, then its proof the SC wheel is starting to touch the housing.

Thread Information