Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Post, '10 260X RUSTED Spark Plugs 19hrs

19 hours on my new 2010 260X

Bought at the beginning of July this year, broken in by the book. Went to prepare it for winter and noticed that 1 & 2 spark plugs are rusted and corroded. Furthermore, aluminium from the head came out on the threads. 3 & 4 spark plug would not even budge.

Took it to Jet Tek in Northfield NJ today, they warmed it up and were able to remove 4 spark plug - rusted again. #3 spark plug snapped off as they tried to loosen it so there are threads only left in the head.

Noticed a performance drop of about 15% could easily get to 70+ (speedo) barely getting to 62 now.

Anyone have any similar experiences? They said that there were gaskets that tend to leak into the exhaust valves.

Maintenance was performed by BayView marina in Ocean City NJ @ 10 hours where they changed the oil and gave us the A-OK. ( Dont really trust them to be honest)

I called Kawasaki and have a Log #. How is Kawasaki warranty claims? Jet Tek apparently knows their stuff but will my ski ever perform like new again?

Thanks in advance!

Yes your ski is about average on the list. Once the common problems like moisture from the water box causing the plugs to rust is identified I guarantee the this will never be an issue again. I always remove my plugs after a ride and disconnect the coil power connectors, and further fog down in the plug ports to protect the valves from the same plight turning the engine over couple of times. Plugs returned with antisieze before a ride. Your craft will return to the performance you are used to, like everyone elses did, so long as maintenance is performed regularily.

So what do you think they are going to do service-wise?

Hopefully check the basics #1, but with the added aid of a KDS to check performance. Trouble is corrosion can affect other things like valves. I doubt you have a valve seal problem, but nevertheless a dealer can check this just to be sure. Sounds like you don't trust the dealer, find one you do trust or do the work yourself. Heaps of help with these guys on GH, that's what I did. Took me a couple of years before i signed on cause I was too embarassed and felt like a noob. Who cares, just be a dog with a bone until you get what you want!...... Good ridin man!

I think Kawi will cover this, should have no problems with the warranty as this is well under a year... get the GTTP extended to be safe too, you can search this board for the best prices.

Glad to hear it, Ill let you guys know whats up when they finally tear into it.

I took it to a dealer I trust (at least he's highly rated on PWCtoday), sorry for the confusion, the dealer I bought it from not so much.

Only worried that its left outside for the next couple of days albeit with the kawasaki cover on it.

Its garage kept at home with a detail + maintenance after each run at home.

I keep my ski in a heated garage over the winter months and have always left the plugs installed. Is it recommended to also remove the plugs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Aussie View Post
    Hopefully check the basics #1, but with the added aid of a KDS to check performance. Trouble is corrosion can affect other things like valves. I doubt you have a valve seal problem, but nevertheless a dealer can check this just to be sure. Sounds like you don't trust the dealer, find one you do trust or do the work yourself. Heaps of help with these guys on GH, that's what I did. Took me a couple of years before i signed on cause I was too embarassed and felt like a noob. Who cares, just be a dog with a bone until you get what you want!...... Good ridin man!
    Do you still feel like a noob? cause you look like one

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    I keep my ski in a heated garage over the winter months and have always left the plugs installed. Is it recommended to also remove the plugs?
    I don't know what others are doing but for winter I remove my plugs and lay a folded shop towel across all 4 holes with a length of wood on top so it stays in place.
    but-
    I also wedge a new roll of paper towels as far down into the bottom of the hull as I can so as to attract any moisture that may be lingering in the hull.

Update, dealer has the head off and the internals look completely fine.

They are waiting to hear back from Kawi about what to do with the threads of the spark plug that snapped off when they tried to remove it. The local machine shop was unable to do anything with it.

New Supercharger gaskets (which apparently caused the problem) are ordered and will be replaced.

Im itching for spring!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information