Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

1996 Sl900 Purchase

I'm thinking of buying a 1996 sl900 and was wondering if it's worth rebuilding. I see they were only made in 1996 & 1997 are they rare? I can get it for $100.00. It's in fair condition. Hull looks good and engine runs. What do you guys think.

$100, not $1000?

If it runs, and its $100, thats a great deal.

Why does it need rebuilding? If it runs OK, leave it.

+1
    Always remember that ANY ski ANY year will need maintenance,tools to work on it,time to ride and wrench and place to keep it. you may need a trailer also.

If its 100.00 and your willing to learn and spend some money on it(100-500.00) rebuilding the carbs, replacing the fuel lines and other manitenance items, then ya get it.

There are no Polaris dealers around or mechanics from other brands willing to wrench on them so keep that in mind.. although, your on the BEST website on earth to get advice,parts, n such!

Pictures???? Video???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnynpr View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a 1996 sl900 and was wondering if it's worth rebuilding. I see they were only made in 1996 & 1997 are they rare?...
    Welcome to the Hulk

This is THE place on the Internet for Polaris PWC info

The Polaris SL series was sold for many years. The SL 900 was only sold for a couple of model years, but the same hull and slightly larger engine can be found in the SL 1050. All the 1996-2004 red domestic engines have a common configuration, and many parts are shared across the various models.

The SL900 is a fairly quick machine and runs in the mid-50mph range, only slightly slower than the SL 1050 model.

Have a look at my signature links, especially the info regarding purchasing and the required maintenance to bring one of these older models up to par.

+1
    Read on the front page here the sticky that says," Newbie questions before you rebuild or buy a ski".

That will help us help you decide on what to get. there are many types of polaris skis..650,750,780,785,900,1050,1200, in many versions,,,sl,slt,stlx,slth,slx,virage,matrix.gene sis,msx. theres basically 2 types of engines,, the "red domestic" and the "blue fugi", the latter being the older version.

Parts are available for all the skis one way or another. Some of the "red domestic"ones are fuel injected, the rest are carburated.

Speeds vary from 48mph to over 70mph.. speed costs $$$$$.

All the polaris skis can be upgraded to perform better than stock with just bolt on stuff. Other HP stuff can be sent to shops for other goodies like porting n bigger pistons..

You mentioned rebuild...what??? the engine, you say it runs..or did ya mean to re-do the whole ski, painting,motor ete.....

A drop in motor would cost ya about 200used to 1300 new or some where in-between. just depends which one and what condition. Thats just the long block mind you. Some complete engines can be had on EBAY too.

Whats your riding style? what are you looking to do? race.rec riding,smooth water only , going fast, carving turns hard, acceleration.,top speed?

I would do a compression check on the cylinders, look at the stator for blades missing and check the tolerence and condition of the blades on the impellor first.

There may be updates on this ski also.. like updated ignitions and other stuff. it may or may not be done to it..

K-447 would know more on that!

id buy it i paid $200 for my 94 sl 650 and it didnt have a trailer so it coast like another 200 for that and had no title so it coast 225 for all the paper work and title in my name now. my ski runs like a champ i had it out yesterday all the local duck hunters hated me hahaha

+1
    I can get it for 100.00 with the trailer. The guy just want to get it out of his yard. I have rebuilt a couple of Polaris skis in the past, I use to be a polaris snowmobile mech. and have rebuilt many of them, and am currently working on a 2002 Virage that I picked up for 200.00 with the trailer. It seems from what you all have said that it's worth getting. I'm thinking that it may be difficult to get new parts but what the heck it's a new challenge.

$100 with a trailer for a running ski is a amazing deal.

If you have the time to search around for parts, they can be found cheap... Look around over the winter and you shouldn't have a issue getting anything it needs.

+1
    Parts are still EVERYWHERE for them thats not a problem at all

+1
    I'm leaving to pick it up as soon as the Falcons finish destroying the Bucs
    One more question, has anyone painted the plastic hood like the one on a virage with Krylon Plastic paint. I've searched and found a few people painted rubrails but nothing about hoods

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information