Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuits?

Wetsuits?

Hi, I'm new to the PWC ownership scene. I am hoping to purchase a good wetsuit for Spring/Late Fall riding, but I don't really know what type of suit I should seek out. I live in NJ and do most of my riding at the NJ Shore. The water temps here can be quite low, and I am in need of some good honest opinions about the best to buy, dry or wet, and what material/brand I should seek out.

Thanks for your help

Lot of opinions on this but here are mine after experimenting with everything from 7mm suits to 3mm shorties in 50 to 55 degree water.

Dry suit feels too restrictive to me. Gives me claustrophobia. I prefer Farmer John style arm less wet suits. I used to wear 7mm but now I usually use 3mm with full legs. I then layer as necessary with hyperflex rash guard, mysterioso hoodie, 3 mm JPilot zip jacket and 1 or 2 H2O proof shells. Head protection, scuba boots & socks.

With the right layers you can survive sustained immersion in emergency yet keep free movement for physical riding in rough conditions.

Thanks for the reply! Anyone else have opinions on this? I am looking to buy one full suit, not an assortment of gear really. I believe a long sleeve full body suit would be best for my needs (60-65 degree air, 50 degree water minimum).. I am not sure if I should go with a wet or a dry suit and could use some opinions

Thank you

+1
    I also live in NJ and just got into the skis this year. I also wanted to extend my riding season this year (and earlier next spring). I got a full wetsuit 3/2 and it is just fine for 60. I was told to get 7 mm wetsuit boots and they are must. Also 2 mm wetsuit gloves. Some people think they are restrictive, but I really like them.

I've also been out at 50 degrees and when I did that I also did the following: Ski hat, windbreaker/rain suit bottoms and top w/ hoodie (some people use a helmet w/ goggles), neoprene face mask (it's very cold when doing nearly 70 mph!) and sun glasses. You will want to keep your face covered. The nylon rain suit is nice because it is very light weight, but keeps the wetsuit from getting wet. That has worked very well so far and you can layer what you need. Too hot, take off the rain jacket...

I'm planning on going out tomorrow, for a couple hours, as this may be the last (sort of) nice day for the year.

The Farmer John style of wet suit (full suit sleeveless with jacket) really gives you the most options. Its great to be able to just cover the legs and chest on on days that are nice but water is cold, or throw the top on the keep your upper body warm when the water is warm and the air has a chill. Jet pilot and Slippery are the top sellers of good PWC wet suits like this.
    A standard 1 piece full suit is not designed for sitting and can be uncomfortable. IMO
    John

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    I also live in NJ and just got into the skis this year. I also wanted to extend my riding season this year (and earlier next spring). I got a full wetsuit 3/2 and it is just fine for 60. I was told to get 7 mm wetsuit boots and they are must. Also 2 mm wetsuit gloves. Some people think they are restrictive, but I really like them.

I've also been out at 50 degrees and when I did that I also did the following: Ski hat, windbreaker/rain suit bottoms and top w/ hoodie (some people use a helmet w/ goggles), neoprene face mask (it's very cold when doing nearly 70 mph!) and sun glasses. You will want to keep your face covered. The nylon rain suit is nice because it is very light weight, but keeps the wetsuit from getting wet. That has worked very well so far and you can layer what you need. Too hot, take off the rain jacket...

I'm planning on going out tomorrow, for a couple hours, as this may be the last (sort of) nice day for the year.
    Wait till you fall in the water with all that shit on... Dont ask how I know either...

+1
    Heh. I've been in the water with the full wetsuit on and it was no problem. But I have not been fully in the water with the rain/windbreaker over that yet, other than wading in the water to put the ski off and on the trailer. So I can't say about it with the rain suit too...yet...

+1
    Move south and you will still need one The sub tropics gets cold 2

Thanks to your suggestions I've picked up a set of awesome 7mm gloves and 7mm booties... very psyched about these items:
    Still on to finding the appropriate body wear...
    Thinking about this combo-suit... Would appreciate some comments

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page...e/666-S770MF01

I have that exact suit, 7mm farmer John. Its very warm but, in my opinion, thicker and more restrictive than most people need. I no longer use it except on long, solo rides in sub 40. I recommend you try 7mm on before you buy it.

In my opinion, any jacket over 3mm is too restrictive. Sizing is real important. The tight, restrictive fit good for scuba (and pressurized depths) is not always so comfortable on j-ski. Be careful about buying any wetsuit thats sized right for scuba but not anything else. I may be more picky because I have to wear my suit all day and have to walk to and from launch ramps, etc.

I still think layering is the way to go. The H2o proof wind jacket and pants do not interfere with my ability to swim or move in the water but I guess it depends on what you are used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information